Home Office report on FACs and SGCs

Did anyone else see the report by the committee reporting to the Home Office on the Derrick Bird killings? I only saw a summary. Apparently they want the legislation tidied up big-time, simplified and applied evenly across the country. So say all of us, I imagine. Perhaps more worrying is that they say that anyone who has ever been convicted of an offence which could lead to any custodial sentence should be barred from ever holding FAC or SGC, even if they only received a suspended sentence or fine. Bird was allowed to keep his certificates despite a conviction for theft, as he got a suspended sentence.

I'm quoting from memory here, and it was a newspaper report, so if anyone has more accurate info please share it! From what I read, it actually seemed quite sensible, certainly not the usual knee-jerk panic reaction. Perhaps having shooters in the government makes a difference.

Sweating on a drink driving conviction 31 years ago,

Ric

Did anyone else see the report by the committee reporting to the Home Office on the Derrick Bird killings? I only saw a summary. Apparently they want the legislation tidied up big-time, simplified and applied evenly across the country. So say all of us, I imagine. Perhaps more worrying is that they say that anyone who has ever been convicted of an offence which could lead to any custodial sentence should be barred from ever holding FAC or SGC, even if they only received a suspended sentence or fine. Bird was allowed to keep his certificates despite a conviction for theft, as he got a suspended sentence.

I'm quoting from memory here, and it was a newspaper report, so if anyone has more accurate info please share it! From what I read, it actually seemed quite sensible, certainly not the usual knee-jerk panic reaction. Perhaps having shooters in the government makes a difference.

Sweating on a drink driving conviction 31 years ago,

Ric

Yes, I read an article on this yesterday. From what I read they are toying with ideas like changing licenses from 5 years to 2 years, barring people who have been done for small crimes from ever having guns etc. etc. I dont see how any of that would make a difference in real life. As we all know, the majority of gun crime is done by people having illegally held guns. And, in cases, such as Bird`s, nothing they could have checked or done would stop someone suddenly having a mental breakdown. I think the Prime Minister or someone made the comment that they cant legislate for a switch in someones head suddenly changing.

well that will also prevent more than half of parliment from getting an FAC or SGC as they are allegedly all theiving barstewards,Iam sure this will all be a paper chasing exercise and nothing will come of it. :censored:

I hope you're not wrong. But with the crazed over-reaction after Hungerford & Dunblane, and the hysterical "Dangerous Dogs Act", I lack faith in the ability of our legislators to wipe their own arses, let alone tell us how to wipe ours.

I did see the report but again will be quoting from memory.

I don't agree with anyone who has been found guilty of a criminal offense being totally banned for life from holding a certificate. There should at the very least be an appeals procedure through the Crown Courts, however there are some people who have certificates that have recent convictions for some form of violent crime which is something that needs looking at.

As you say you can never legislate for a person's sudden mental breakdown, however I think there should be more information sharing between GPs and the Police should someone go to their GP with a mental health problem so it can be spotted early. Some will never show any sign of mental illness which just has to be accepted.

To me the hassle of renewing every two years will be a pain and all things considered, if there was more routine checks by police and information sharing by GPs it would remove that need.