bedy whippet broken front leg

3 day ago my 6 month old bedy whippet jumped a ditch and snapped her front leg. just wondering if someone has had it happen to there dog. just wondered if it made a good dog still. vet say at her age should go back good as new.

heard of a lot of lurcher makeing a full recover form leg breaks think it mite take it,s toll

later in the dog,s life just my opinion on this

Bitch I'm running now broke her foot at 8 months........vet said he couldn't say 100% that she'd run tidy again,she still running strong now and never suffered another foot injury since.Just take the recovery slow and steady and hopefully has she's young she'll be ok :thumbs:

3 day ago my 6 month old bedy whippet jumped a ditch and snapped her front leg. just wondering if someone has had it happen to there dog. just wondered if it made a good dog still. vet say at her age should go back good as new.

sorry to hear that mate. a mate of mine had the same thing happen to his bitch a few years back she was a little older than yours but aftre a good long rest up she still made a cracking ferreting dog and would run well but to be fair he didnt really push her to hard. i suppose it depends on the dog and how you let her rest up before letting her run on it when its heald.. good luck and hope the dog is ok :thumbs:

Guest storm70

I lost a bedx lst week 7 mnth old bread from my own line broke in about 8 places sadly he had to be put down but 15 years ago o had a dog that broke it's back leg and was repaired had to leave off fr a year vet used a pigs hamstring and that dog was the best dog I've ever owned done over 100 rabbit a week on lamp fcked everydog it ever ran whith and lived to he was 18 there's always hope mate that old dogs leg was very thin but never stopt him I think it's down to proper healing time plenty rest I no how it feels atb wa recovery

Had a young bitch that turned her hare went into the ditch and came out with her leg flapping in the wind. if I had a shot gun i would have shot her there and then. I didnt so i droped her of at the vets and she was later rehomed as a pet.

theses are the reason i would do exactlie the same thing tommorow if I had to.

1. my dogs are 100% workers to me and if theres a chance they can not carry there job out as well as any other dog you may as well start again.

2 a dog of that age is unproven and even if healthy wont always make the grade down the line so its got even less chance on bad leg.

3. COST. the best well breed bedlington lurcher pups say £300 top wack. The greedy vets gonna have you for a lot more than that id guess £1500 to £2000. It probablie wont with stand hard work. if its more of a pet then thats diffrent.

its your dog and your choice mate. I hate to sound harsh but in truth its just how I am. its a sickner but get a new pup and put the time into that save wasting it on a "may be".

• Like 1

I used to run pure bread whippets. one got out of the garden after something and got hit by a car.

The up shot was that it broke the ball of the end of its femur. it had a big opp on it and did start running again, after a long lay up. i never really pushed him though, but he would catch rabbits with ease in the day.

kept him as a pet more than anything.

good luck matey!

baldockbanks courser its costing me 300 and the vets say it will be just as strong as before.maybe you just didn't wont to put the time or effort in.

why ask for some ones oppinion?

all you were after was everyone to pat you on the back and say youv done the right thing.

.. well i told you what I think and you didnt like it. yesterday you asked how to spot a hare! and i explained what Iv lernt from when i used to give my decent old bitch 3 to 4 runs 3 times a week.

youv been in the job two mins and your telling me I wont put the time and effort in! I didnt want to cause its wasnt worth it.

dont cry when the brake causes your dog probs down the line. you keep to your pets.

A few years back I had a pure whippet do exactly the same, six months later started working him ferreting and a couple of runs on the lamp all seemed well he ran well and caught many it was,nt until he ran with his litter brother during the day that it was obvious he was lacking. after a few long hard runs he started to favour the leg he went on to become a pet for a lad on a farm and made a good part timer I didnt see the point in keeping a dog that was obviously finding the going tough when pushed . No dogs are the same only you can decide on your dog and whether he,s worth feeding. hope for the best .

baldockbanks courser its costing me 300 and the vets say it will be just as strong as before.maybe you just didn't wont to put the time or effort in.

why ask for some ones oppinion?

all you were after was everyone to pat you on the back and say youv done the right thing.

.. well i told you what I think and you didnt like it. yesterday you asked how to spot a hare! and i explained what Iv lernt from when i used to give my decent old bitch 3 to 4 runs 3 times a week.

youv been in the job two mins and your telling me I wont put the time and effort in! I didnt want to cause its wasnt worth it.

dont cry when the brake causes your dog probs down the line. you keep to your pets.

didn't mean to be an ass hole i just wonted to know if any one had had it happen and if it made a major difference to there dog. not looking for simper thy just wonted to know if there was a chance that it will be fine.