My BASC Driven Shooting Day

After being informed that i had won a day driven pheasant and partridge shooting on the Longner Estate in shewsbury, i got my early xmass gear off my mum and dad ( a musto woodland coat, musto technical stretch tweed waist coat, musto country trousers, musto v neck jumper and a pair of Lechemaeu wellies i bought a Lechameau shirt and a nice tie just to total it all up. That was the clothing sorted, now i got the ammo done. 500 Express special twenty 6's 28gram was bought from the local RFD (The one i work in) and that was everything ticked.

The day before the shoot came and we, we being mum and I, decided that we would travel up, stay in a Hotel and then travel from the Hotel, which was only 10mis from the shoot, so save us getting up at 5 in the morning and tarvelling all the way to the shoot. So after school, i got my stuff and we set off, getting to the Hotel at about 7ish.

The morning came and i was up early before my alarm, which normally happens if im exited, and i got my shooting gear on and was ready for the off. I did not have my shotgun with me for saefty reasons and left it at home and called to ask if i could borrow a gun up there, this was not a problem and a gun was put to my name for the day. We arrived at the lodge and i met some of the other Young shots that had also won a place on the day, nice chaps and i got on rea;;y well with them.

We were give a breif talk about safety and instrustion and then pick a card with our peg number on it, i was number 6. We were all also assinged our own minders for the day and i had a very ncie woman who ran her own busines of safety courses with shotgun and firearms (if anyone is interested i can get the number for you) ans she also she reloaded for me through out the day.

The first drive was a driven clay drive and we were each given 75 carts for the targets, by the way the gun was a Miroku Mk70 20Bore Grade 1, which i really did like and thought i shot well with it. We carried on with the clay drive and this was over as soon as it started. I didnt do to well on the clays, but i got it in the end. We moved on to the first live pheasant drive and i was placed in my peg number 6. Gun loaded and barrels in the air, i was ready for action.

The pheasants flushed as well as partridge and i had 4 pheasants and a partridge on the first drive, missing hardly any, i think 2, and having a great first drive. The day went really well with everyone havign a bit of sport and super shooting. The last drive is where i really enjoyed the whole day, i had about 14 pheasants coming over my, killing 10 stone dead in the air. I really enjoyed the last one and it will be rememberd for a long time. The day went very well, the weather held otu and everyone had a fun, sporting day. My cartridge to kill ratio was 61 carts fired with 20 pheasants and 1 partridge, which i was pleased with very much.

Heres a link to the pics( i am the one on the far,front righ in the group photo's and am in picture 9 on the last drive taking a pheasant)

HERE HERE HERE