A beginner's thoughts on coastal wildfowling

Well this is my first season on the Wash and I have only been out three times but have enjoyed getting out. All three times it has been clear skies and cold, the first time I saw loads of pink feet but at 32,000 feet and a couple of mallard.

The second time clear skies again but saw no geese and a pair of mallard came over me when I was not prepared and later another pair came towards me but it would have been shooting towards the sea wall and there were walkers there so I did not risk it.

I went across last Thursday morning as they said it was going to be rough weather but it was nothing of the sort clear skies again saw no duck at all but a group of about 10 geese came over me at a shoot-able height but in a straggly gang and I think they were Brent's so again I did not risk it, later my mentor confirmed after I had described them they would have been Brent's. After them I saw a couple of skeins of pinkfeet very high.

So after stood in a watery creek for 3 hours with the tide coming in I was SO SO cold and frost had formed on the dogs coat, my coat and my back pack, I thought about breaking the ice on the cattle trough and putting my hands in to warm them up.

When we got back up on to the sea wall the dog was running around as though it was a summers day and I had all on to walk because of the cold, I put it down to the cheap Lidl waders that are not neoprene. Roll on January and February eh.

Will I go back in a couple of weeks????? of course I will

Will the two hour drive there and another two hours home put me off?????????? No chance

What about others??????????

very nice write up allen , i know how you feel about wildfowling , i can remember the first time i was taken out fowling , the weather was like it is now , snow,and very cold , there was plenty of duck about at the time , the weather was perfect for fowling but at the time i was very , very green to fowling , i got stuck in a couple of big creeks on the way out to the front of frampton , my friend had to pull my waders out of the mud , i lost my socks also i was covered in mud from head to toe ..

but that did not matter to me because i was out there and i was doing it, my friend shot 5 different species of duck that morning and i just sat there covered in mud from head to toe, no socks on because i lost them when i got my waders stuck in the mud , i just pulled my feet out of them ,then carried on out the creek loosing my socks on the way but i just sat there and took it all in because i could not shoot because i plugged my barrels with mud on the way out to ...

my friend thought that would of put me off for life but not me , i just wanted to do it all again and again and again ... there was only 5 weeks left of that season and i could not join the club till the following summer , well all that summer i walked every inch of all our local marshes time and time again , so i would know my way around come shooting season .....

i put an application form in to join our local club , i waited for weeks to hear if i had been accepted watching the postman come most days , then one tuesday it dropped on the floor , i was like a young kid at christmas opening presents , i just ripped it open and read it , i had been accepted and had to go to a new members meeting in august ....

well the 1st of september came but i could not sleep for 3 nights before because i was that excited , i had no dog my first season and by christ it was hard work , i could not shoot ducks over water because i had no dog and it use to gut me , because other fowlers where coming off with ducks and i was not , when i was down with my friend , he had a dog and it was fantastic ...

i have done some very silly things just to shoot that extra duck or goose, swimming to fetch my first goose because i had no dog in my first year swimming off the marsh because we left it to late and got cut off by the tide 200yards from the bank .. and many , many other things but this was when i was alot lot younger ..

god i must stop now because all this talking about wildfowling makes me want to cut my leg out of plaster and just go , i love it wildfowlers do it in the mud how true that is ..

all the best allen, i hope to get out with you towards the end of the season when hopefully my leg will be out of plaster

sorry if i have gone on a bit ...

wag :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie:

I love to hear everyones opinions and experiences so dont apologise. I know if I was closer I would be on the marsh more often and I should have spent time through the summer checking the layout of the marsh out.

Take care mate and I hope your foot heals soon. :thumbs:

Friday was my first proper experience!

I have always had a soft spot for duck. This time last year i was roost shooting the pigeons, on the way back to the car i could hear the ducks and noticed they were dropping in on a splash in the corner of the field. Now where i shoot pigeons i have to use non-toxic shot, so i was all geared up to go. I walked over to the splash and downed a mallard. As i walked out to get her the water came up, over my boots and filled them. My legs were soaked, i was freezing, but i had a duck for the table. Now, how it happened i dont know, but before i knew it, i was sat in the middle of the splash, in my moleskins, ankle boots and jacket. Up to my chest in it. But i finished on 2 mallard, 1 gadwall and and 2 teal. It was just brilliant! I ignored the cold and as i left i was walking among the duck as they were landing. There is just something so right about being out in their habitat that makes shooting them so much more rewarding than anything else...

Anyway, back to foreshore fowling! (sorry for the detour!)

Friday was my first day. I arranged it with a close friend of mine. We decided to shoot the tide out from 1pm until flight time. I spent all morning wishing the time away whilst rushing around trying to gather my bits together. I think i just about remembered it all, but it was time to set off. I met him at his house and we loaded up. Waders, jackets, cartridges, decoys, wading stick, gloves, face-mask, lunch. Everything... Nope, my friend was so excited to take me out, he locked himself out the house without his gun! Anyway, gun retrieved we were off.

Parking a little way off from where we cross the sea wall, we geared up. Looking like the Michellin Man, i rang the missus and said under no circumstances was she to call! She did her usual and told me not to lose my phone and wallet and everything else... the usual missus chat!

Well we crossed the road, down the foot path and over the sea wall. The tide was up as expected, but where were the widgeon? Not a sign. Normally they are sat there waiting the tide out before moving up the creek to the freshwater.

We walked out over the marsh, pushing several snipe out on the way. Now i should say it was blue skies, very warm and not an breath of wind. I was not hopeful. Still, the sounds, sights and smells were all i needed to be enjoying myself.

We set the decoys out, sat down and waited. After a few minutes skeins of geese could be seen coming up the channel. Brent. We saw around 400 that day, some passing right over us only 15ft above our head. Finally the widgeon called. He slipped through un-noticed and escaped unscathed despite both of us saluting him with both barrels. It was then it got exciting!

Around 800 widgeon lifted from the other side of the creek. Unfortunately not presenting a shot... but i have never experienced anything like it. To say the least, im hooked!

The tide had come in slightly higher than my friend expected. It wasnt an issue, but remember what the missus said? Yep, new phone, cartridges, wallet, gun license... drowned! Never mind!

The evening flight began with a snipe playing with us, in, out, up round, eventually he presented a shot and i killed him with the first barrel. Great i thought, im not going to draw a blank on my first day!

We pulled the decoys and sat on the edge of the tide waiting. It got darker and darker. The teal were there somewhere, but it was too dark i thought. Out of nowhere 3 came at around a foot off the water and straight at me, i had no time but managed to get a shot off....missed! They came round again, swinging through i pulled the trigger... misfire! Wet cartridges!!! Still, this was all i needed. I was loving every second of it. Minutes later the tearing of wings as the teal flared over my head startled me as they were trying to land in amongs me and my friend. Again they caught us by suprise as the cloud was hindering our view. A few shots were fired but nothing fell.

Enough was enough. There was ice on my gunslip, my cartridges were soaked and covered in salty rust, we were muddy and had a long walk. But my goodness did i have fun. We had seend around 800 widgeon, 400 brent, 50 odd teal and probably 20 snipe. It was incredible.

It was and will always be one of my most memorable experiences. It was the most beautiful of settings and with some of the most beautiful of birds providing the most sporting shooting anyone could wish for. I'll join next year. Even if i didnt shoot anything all season. I'd still be happy to be out in great company and great surroundings. Hopefully one day i'll be as experienced others to appreciate taking others out for their first flight. As my friend said, the look on my face all afternoon was worth every cold finger and toe he's ever had, and i'd like to experience that!

.Joe (sorry for the long one!)

Harry /Joe it's good in'it iv'e been doing it for years :thumbs:

Tony

Thanks Joe I enjoyed that write up, same as I say I love to hear other folks experiences.

Have you any recent wildfowling experiences to share Tony?

Is there anyone out there who would admit that they tried wildfowling and thought "This is not for me" because to be honest my first half hour in the dark on the marsh with the mud pulling my boots off I thought "flip this I'm off home" :icon_redface:

cmon lets have a story or two.