new springer pup

Hey, my pup is 13 weeks tomorrow and hes retreving well and i started using treats so now when he gets back to me hes dropping the dummy and sitting for me, today ive bought a whistle an acme 210 1/2. i dont know much about whistles iss that an all rounder? or a short/long range? i was also wondering why do some trainers use 2 whistles? if anyone knows if my whistle is shot/long could you suggest an oppisite one for me? cheers again corey

Hey, my pup is 13 weeks tomorrow and hes retreving well and i started using treats so now when he gets back to me hes dropping the dummy and sitting for me, today ive bought a whistle an acme 210 1/2. i dont know much about whistles iss that an all rounder? or a short/long range? i was also wondering why do some trainers use 2 whistles? if anyone knows if my whistle is shot/long could you suggest an oppisite one for me? cheers again corey

Your whistle is just fine but when you blow it dont burst your lungs trying to make it as loud as possible. All you want to do for training is light peeps.... For example 1 peep for sit, 2 peeps for quartering/ changing direction (this is where the dog hunts in zig zag), a series of peeps for the recall. The second whistle that you see around trainers necks is normally a thunder whistle. This is used for an emergency stop whistle or for chastising the dog.... I personally dont use one but i know of a few people that do.The one thing with whistle training is to get the pup used to one before moving on to another.

yeah i think thats the problem he will retive with it still in his mouth if i have no treats but run straight at me and drop it like just infront of me when i have treats maybe i should stick to just praise? thanks for the advice on the whistle

Edited by Rothbury Shooter

This may seem a stupid question :laugh: but can working dogs be family dogs aswell? as some people say springers cant?

depends on what type of work you want it to do and how often you want it to work. Id say the majority of field trailers kennel there dogs.

I kennel'd my 2 but my mother keeps bringing them in, it really has ruined them in some aspects of working. :( Not just from being inside but from what comes with it. People throwing things for them and not getting them to retrieve it, letting them all over the house and furniture, feeding them from the table. Its ridiculous. When they are naughty or cause trouble then I am to blame cos there my dogs. Does my head in!

This may seem a stupid question :laugh: but can working dogs be family dogs aswell? as some people say springers cant?

depends on what type of work you want it to do and how often you want it to work. Id say the majority of field trailers kennel there dogs.

I kennel'd my 2 but my mother keeps bringing them in, it really has ruined them in some aspects of working. :( Not just from being inside but from what comes with it. People throwing things for them and not getting them to retrieve it, letting them all over the house and furniture, feeding them from the table. Its ridiculous. When they are naughty or cause trouble then I am to blame cos there my dogs. Does my head in!

Mine is kennelled but is allowed inside. Sometimes i let him in the lounge and he lays on the floor next to the side of the sofa i sit on. When he was a pup the kids were under instructions not to do this and not to do that with him. My wife was told when and if she fed him to make him to sit and wait and this is what she did and i have had no problems from him that have been generated from him being inside as a pet. I think like children, dogs need ground rules.

i only go beating once a week if that so hel be used for flushing and abit of picking up then when im out shooting maybe picking up then like rabbits etc? when my mam feeds him she makes him sit and they know not to play tug of war with him. i need abit of retriving advice :/ hel retrive most of the times but sometimes i might thow it and he wont move an inch so i end up retriving it how do i make him go for it? or if he drops it on his way back how could i get him to go back and pick it up?

If your throwing something and hes not even running after it then your doing it too much as the dog has lost interest. Dont over do things and make the dog bored mate! My lab and spaniel are mad to chase after things I throw, The lab is steady now and will wait but I have to keep an eye on the spaniel or she will run in lol!