My late Grandfather who farmed and lived his entire life in Co.Galway had a still on the go for years, he always referred to poteen as a drop of the aul crater.....

Good poteen is very easy to drink but must always be treated with respect :thumbs:

• 6 months later...

i've just started to make some now, i got the recipe off the internet,i put 4 pound of sloes in a demi john(i pricked the sloes with a fork first) ,added 2 litres of gin,and 280grams of brown sugar,i will taste it as i go along now and if it needs sweetening i'll add more sugar,also needs to be shaken every day, they reckon about 3 months and its ready,its the first time i've tried making it so its a bit of an experiment,

good luck,

all the best,

cheers,

jay. :thumbs:

Just out of interest all these years I have been useing white sugar, does it taste better useing brown as stated above? also noticed the sloes are pretty earley this year around here. The missus picked over 5lb of them in the freezer now :victory: