the wife has give me the go ahead

so i've been thinking long and hard and done a bit of searching,

I will basically tell you guys what i require of it and let me know what you think

It will be mainly used for getting to and from my permissions across the steep and in winter snow covered penines, it will be required to do a little bit off road and when i say of road I mean driving on wet grass fields and NOT ploughed fields etc etc, also I would like a bit of room inside for all my carp fishing gear, fuel economy would be another contributing factor the higher mpg the better for me, finally safety and comfort for both me, my wife and children on days out.

Sooooooooo at the moment I have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities, Number 1 being a nissan X trail and number 2 a discovery TD5 budget will probably be a maximum of 5k with a 1500/2k trade in on the old car.

your thoughts and advice please.

Regards,

JB

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt advise an xtrail im afraid. All the ones iv come in contact with have been very unreliable and have a host of problems, turbos, head gaskets, oil cooler seals etc.

Discos are a decent truck and good offroad but they are certainly not free from mechanical issues.

Oh and id also steer clear of freelanders!

But between and xtrail and a disco, disco all the way!

ATB

In my experience with Discoverys .............

I've found they do have a few problems, but there are some real good lads out there to help, plenty of breakers and loads of help available on forums.

This is about the best one, started by some of the most helpful lads.

http://thed2boysclub.myfineforum.org/index.php

Also this bloke is the bollocks with them.

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/

Just one thing though ..........

What's all this "the wife gave the go ahead"? I can see letters but they don't make any sense, guess that's why I'm single! :laugh:

We had an x-trail and sure enough the turbo went but covered under warranty.

If you want a rufty tufty gun bus, a defender is great, I have N reg 116,000 on the clock and all fine

Terrano/Maverick are good as well but not too wide.

if you want comfort, the D2 is fine. TD5 engine has a few isuues, oil can ( by capillary action) work its way into the ecu and cause problems.

Have a look on Landrover uk forums, great website, lots of advice!.

I'd advise you to stay well clear of an Nissan mate........ :thumbdown:

I would also go for a pick up...i like to keep the smell of dogs, shot game and smelly shit in a different compartment, just incase you want to use the vehicle for pleasure instead of work/hunting. Just a bit food for thought :thumbs:

Lab don't you have a navara for sale. Mint condish with one carefull lady owner?

Lol.

In my opinion I would steer clear of nissan and freelanders.

Discoveries are good but you can get a lot of vehicle from your money in the shape of a shogun these days.

All big 4x4s are great untill they go bang. You just have to have the funds available to rectify them when they do.

If your going for a pickup get a hilux.

FTB