help getting weight on my rescue JR

While at a local dealers I spotted to ickle Jack russles, the female was in good shape but the male has lost all his dark hair and is a bit sad looking, we've been to vets hes mange free and has been treated for fleas, but hes very very skinny, I have him on fresh eggs,chicken and puppy food, oo and he has been wormed, wonder if anyone has any good hints on helping get back into shape?

While at a local dealers I spotted to ickle Jack russles, the female was in good shape but the male has lost all his dark hair and is a bit sad looking, we've been to vets hes mange free and has been treated for fleas, but hes very very skinny, I have him on fresh eggs,chicken and puppy food, oo and he has been wormed, wonder if anyone has any good hints on helping get back into shape?

a quick fix job is to pour diet shakes over the dogs food for a week its like eating two meals, obviously not ideal for too long but builds weight fast hope this helps

I've got him on puppie mix and tinned cat food three times a day and chicke, rice and eggs as well and he's starting to put weight on will update pics once hes looking less like a skeleton and more like a little JR! hes really a nice little dog very small and compact

Chook hes not a puppy hes around three years old :) cat food has started to help him put weight on :)

Ha right you didnt say the age, sorry but would still get him off the cat food,

cat food is very high in fats and protein and can cause problems with the pancrias

if eaten to often it can trigger a bout of pancreatitis, which would set you back

big time, as then he would have to go on a low fat food.

I was told that lamb is great for getting weight on.

I asked the local butcher to do me 2lb of lamb mince and 2lb of minced fatty offcuts. He didn't charge for the fat and you've got twice the amount.

Mine gets this a couple times a week.

Also tripe is supposed to be good. My pup devours a bowl full of green tripe too.

Gaz

Tripe is a great food, but not very high in protein. If a dog is severely underweight it needs lots of protein to build up body mass again: starved dogs have used their own muscle protein to stay alive: they need good quality meat protein to replace what has been lost: red meat: beef, horse, venision, hare, lamb are all the best sources of protein. Cut back on cereals and cheap filling foods which contain lost of soya, beet pulp etc. Rice is a good form of carbs and unlikely to cause diarrhoea but you don't need very much: dog's have evolved to eat meat, not cereals.