fix my falcon....myself?

hi all. (sigh) i recently took my falcon PF18 multi to my local gunsmiths just to check over his chrono. He said it was pushing out 10ft/lbs. i picked it back up yesterday after leaving it with him over the weekend and he said he fitted a new 'mainspring'. I have no idea what one of these is, i thought it was only the spring in a springer that was called a mainspring. it appeared that the action hadn't been took out of the stock, but for some reason my scopes had been took off? could he have fitted a mainspring without taking the action out of the stock? and why would he have needed to remove the scopes?

I paid £30 for whatever he may or may not have done to my rifle, AND spent £50 on a Hogan silencer and adapter, been out today to re-zero my scope, which im really bad at, and it took around 100 shots and 3 re-fills(i took my pump out with me) After which, air started slowly leaking from the fill-port! I am now skint and probably cant afford to have the gunsmith fix it for mewallbash.gif I've read the falcon fill probe can sometimes shred the 'o' rings, which could cause leakage, but, you guessed it, i dont know what these are or how to repair/replace them. any help on preventing any further haemorraging of my cash will be massively appreciated. thanks.

Its probably just an `o` ring ,thats gone . Sorry i dont have the drawings to work from , but you can have a look here -

http://www.gunspares...t=Airgun+spares

might give you an idea :thumbs:

I just checked here and they don't appear to sell falcon spares. could there be an air arms equivalent seeing as they're owned by the same company?

Hi Darren,

I’m sorry to hear about your rifle buddy. PCPs can sometimes be a real pain in the butt compared to a springer in regards to leaks etc.

It would be unfair to say that the Gunsmith ripped you off as I don’t know 1 thing about the internals for a PCP mate.

I realise that you are at the mo skint (snap) but what I do recommend is when you have saved a little bit of money, getting in touch with Adrian Waugh at A and M Custom Gunsmiths.

He has customised my rifle and has worked on quite a few lads PCPs from this section with a 100% recommendation.

He isn’t expensive and you get a first class service for your money.

I can’t recommend him enough Darren.

He will defo be able to fix you PCP and get it running at 11.5 ft/lbs with no leaks, plus shoot sweet pal.

His details are on this link:

http://www.amcustomgunsmiths.com/

Kind regards

Si

Hi Darren,

I'm sorry to hear about your rifle buddy. PCPs can sometimes be a real pain in the butt compared to a springer in regards to leaks etc.

It would be unfair to say that the Gunsmith ripped you off as I don't know 1 thing about the internals for a PCP mate.

I realise that you are at the mo skint (snap) but what I do recommend is when you have saved a little bit of money, getting in touch with Adrian Waugh at A and M Custom Gunsmiths.

He has customised my rifle and has worked on quite a few lads PCPs from this section with a 100% recommendation.

He isn't expensive and you get a first class service for your money.

I can't recommend him enough Darren.

He will defo be able to fix you PCP and get it running at 11.5 ft/lbs with no leaks, plus shoot sweet pal.

His details are on this link:

http://www.amcustomgunsmiths.com/

Kind regards

Si

thanks a lot mate. yeah, i've seen a lot on here about A+M, your video comparing those silencers nearly made me buy a Twink, but impatience got to me so i just bought one from the shop.

Before forking out for postage, and being without my rifle for a while,i'd like to find out how feasible it'd be for me to fix it myself (if it is just o rings that need replacing) as i'd like to learn more about my rifle and how it works and possibly save a bit of cash on what could be minor repairs/tweaks. Do you know where i can get a strip-down guide?

picked it back up yesterday after leaving it with him over the weekend and he said he fitted a new 'mainspring'. I have no idea what one of these is, i thought it was only the spring in a springer that was called a mainspring. it appeared that the action hadn't been took out of the stock, but for some reason my scopes had been took off? could he have fitted a mainspring without taking the action out of the stock? and why would he have needed to remove the scopes?

hello there mate.

now im not saying im right hear but think i have a good idea of whats going on.

the mainspring that he is talking about is a small spring that on release pushes the hammer to open the valve witch then releases the pressure to fire the shot.

these if to week will not open the valve enough and thus giving a lower powered shot,and are often uprated to produse more power,ie, hitting harder longer=more air released more power into the shot.

he will almost definatly had to have taken the action out of the gun to do any work to this spring as on all the guns iv seen they are inside the main workings of the gun.

now most people will remove the scope to protect it and to make working on the gun easyer. and if you have had a power increase you will have had to re zero anyway.

for what reason do you think that the action had not been taken out of the stock just out of cureosity..

did he tell you what the gun was now reading on the crono after the work, as he must have put it through to make shure any new parts were not taking the gun over the limit.

in regards to seals they can often be replace at home, would not recomend doing any work to your gun with out a very detailed diagram. and the other thing to rember is parts that are often screwed together must be replaced in the same way, number of turnes in ect as again this can make a very big difference to the rifles performance.

hope some of this is a help to you.

atb

Andy

If there is such a thing as a Falcon forum there buddy i reacon.

Si.

thanks man, i found a falcon owners forum. someone on there said the 'o' rings are on the fill probe, and its most likely that dirt has got inside whilst i've been filling the rifle in the woods and a good blast from a divers bottle would get any dirt from around the seals in the cylinder and re-seat the seals . they also have a strip-down guide and it looks like removing the fill valve assembly to check for grime etc. is a piece of cake. thanks for your help.

on a different note, i watched some video of you taking out magpies and jays at some right distance, world class mate! i cant wait till iv got the confidence and experience (and fully functioning rifle) to take on such shots. inspirational.

Thanks Darren for your kind comments,

Please always think about a "potential wounding shot" first before you pull the trigger and where your pellet will land if you miss the target.

Remember that a 12 ft/lb air rifle will send a pellet about 412 metres at a 28 deg angle.

A big permission like some of mine aren’t such a big problem mate but a small field can be.

Practice lots on paper first mate then move onto live vermin once you are confident in your own ability.

Remember that a lot of the regulars on here that shoot in excess of 30 yards accurately and humanely have been shooting many years and are very good shots and know their own limits and strengths.

Even a rat at 10 yards deserves a clinical shot in the KZ mate.

Si

Edited by zini

picked it back up yesterday after leaving it with him over the weekend and he said he fitted a new 'mainspring'. I have no idea what one of these is, i thought it was only the spring in a springer that was called a mainspring. it appeared that the action hadn't been took out of the stock, but for some reason my scopes had been took off? could he have fitted a mainspring without taking the action out of the stock? and why would he have needed to remove the scopes?

hello there mate.

the mainspring that he is talking about is a small spring that on release pushes the hammer to open the valve witch then releases the pressure to fire the shot.

these if to week will not open the valve enough and thus giving a lower powered shot,and are often uprated to produse more power,ie, hitting harder longer=more air released more power into the shot.

he will almost definatly had to have taken the action out of the gun to do any work to this spring as on all the guns iv seen they are inside the main workings of the gun.

now most people will remove the scope to protect it and to make working on the gun easyer. and if you have had a power increase you will have had to re zero anyway.

for what reason do you think that the action had not been taken out of the stock just out of cureosity..

did he tell you what the gun was now reading on the crono after the work, as he must have put it through to make shure any new parts were not taking the gun over the limit.

in regards to seals they can often be replace at home, would not recomend doing any work to your gun with out a very detailed diagram. and the other thing to rember is parts that are often screwed together must be replaced in the same way, number of turnes in ect as again this can make a very big difference to the rifles performance.

atb

Andy

Hi, i have a velcro strap that attaches my sling to the rifle, and i wind it very tightly around the barrel, cylinder and stock, with the buckle that holds it together and adjusts length under the stock, between the carved lip at the front of the stock, and the sling stud. It just didn't look like it'had been removed and then put back by someone unfamiliar with it . A few things set my paranoia senses tingling, like; I didnt actually see him chrono the gun in the first place, so i dont know for a fact it was ever under-powered at all and i never saw him chrono it AFTER he'd allegedly put in a new hammer spring, and without the confidence to strip the rifle and knowing what the old hammer-spring looked like, i'cant check! so all i have is his word, and a £30 hole in my pocket! He also offered to borrow me an S410 off the shelf in the shop while he did the "work" which at the time i thought was a very nice gesture, but after a bit of thought, realised it could've just been a 'sweetener'. i hope I'm wrong but i feel a bit like i've been hustledicon_redface.gif

Thanks Darren for your kind comments,

Please always think about a "potential wounding shot" first before you pull the trigger and where your pellet will land if you miss the target.

Remember that a 12 ft/lb air rifle will send a pellet about 412 metres at a 28 deg angle.

A big permission like some of mine aren't such a big problem mate but a small field can be.

Practice lots on paper first mate then move onto live vermin once you are confident in your own ability.

Remember that a lot of the regulars on here that shoot in excess of 30 yards accurately and humanely have been shooting many years and are very good shots and know their own limits and strengths.

Even a rat at 10 yards deserves a clinical shot in the KZ mate.

Si

funny you should say that, but it was a couple of pigeons flying off wounded that made me take the rifle to the shop in the first place. i always shoot at a range a bit closer than most cos my right eye is a bit cack and i cant usually spot things at long ranges anyway. i'd have thought at 20-25 yards, nothing should be flying away.

hello there mate.

atb

Andy

Hi, i have a velcro strap that attaches my sling to the rifle, and i wind it very tightly around the barrel, cylinder and stock, with the buckle that holds it together and adjusts length under the stock, between the carved lip at the front of the stock, and the sling stud. It just didn't look like it'had been removed and then put back by someone unfamiliar with it . A few things set my paranoia senses tingling, like; I didnt actually see him chrono the gun in the first place, so i dont know for a fact it was ever under-powered at all and i never saw him chrono it AFTER he'd allegedly put in a new hammer spring, and without the confidence to strip the rifle and knowing what the old hammer-spring looked like, i'cant check! so all i have is his word, and a £30 hole in my pocket! He also offered to borrow me an S410 off the shelf in the shop while he did the "work" which at the time i thought was a very nice gesture, but after a bit of thought, realised it could've just been a 'sweetener'. i hope I'm wrong but i feel a bit like i've been hustledicon_redface.gif

huuummm

sounds a bit fishy to me. there is no way he has put a new spring in with out the stock comming off.

if i were you id get back to the shop and quiz him about the crono readings whats the fps the fp. if he askes tell him you want the readings for chair gun pro not that you should have to..

ask him if he has the old spring and if you can have it for an emergency spare..

just go bug the hell out of him till your happy that you no what or what hasent been done to the rifle.

as i wouldent be resting happy till i no for a fact what power the rifle is producing..

good luck with it pal and keep us all informed.

atb

Andy