1st Day on the Pheasants

Well it was first day of my season, so i got a flyer from work and couldn't wait to get going, And guess what it was absolutely Pouring down :wallbash:

Well it was just me having a walk round one of my farms i shoot on, so what the heck and Fern my young Lab bitch wouldn't mind.

Second nettle field we hunted and she flushed 2 Hens, i cliped one with each barrel and both were runners, she retrieved the first no problem but the other must have gone along the hedge the whole length of the field, i thought we had lost it but she tracked it well and got it in the end, i was well chuffed.

(sorry about the pics but the rain was horrendous and there was no time for pretty pictures)

IMG00266-20101003-0854.jpg

IMG00267-20101003-0854.jpg

We carried on to the reed beds and bagged our first Cock bird of the season, good hunting by Fern and a Text book retrieve.

IMG00268-20101003-0923.jpg

IMG00270-20101003-0926.jpg

She then flushed a fox out of the far side of the reeds but out of gun range, but he will keep until we have a few more Lads out.

As we entered the wood a hen broke right under my feet, it was that close i thought it was going to land in the game bag but i missed with both barrels :icon_redface: never mind i took a rabbit as we made our way back which kind of made up for it.

IMG00273-20101003-1042.jpg

The dog did well as the birds were sitting very tight and scent was almost non existent, so not the start of the season i had been dreaming about, but i was out there doing it and you have to take it as it comes with shooting.

So how did everyone else get on.

ATB

Dave.

Edited by Dave C

nice pics mate. i cant wait until next saturday ive been invited for a day shooting on the local gamekeepers ground.

me and my mate do alot of vermin control for him so he invites us for a couple of shoots a year.will put pics up when the time comes

nice dog by the way matey

cheers sean

did'nt have a real day out but after we lifted the pen wire checked out the hoppers and fed the ponds and burn we had a little bit of a dog about put up some good strong flyers but as they made for the woods we drive we did'nt lift the gun .Down in the more wet and reedy ground not so many pheasants but a few duck and snipe where flushed again not shot at left for another day all in all the dogs got to flush birds more than rabbits for a change and i got a chance to run after my dog as she took after a few low flyers. :icon_redface: (better to check her now than during a proper day) and i did have an excuse as she had been out with me on partridge the day before i allways have an excuse :rolleyes: .end result 1 partrige 1 pheasant 5 rabbits and me puffed out getting to old to run after bloody spaniels :cry: .