GWCT PRO FOX SNARE

Suppose there ok if you want to spend £3 per snare.. I'll stick to making my own for less than 1/10th of the cost, exact length I want, deer stop fitted, loaded..no need for a breakaway... If they've got deerstops on and are sited correctly why bother, with extra cack, where its not needed...

Suppose there ok if you want to spend £3 per snare.. I'll stick to making my own for less than 1/10th of the cost, exact length I want, deer stop fitted, loaded..no need for a breakaway... If they've got deerstops on and are sited correctly why bother, with extra cack, where its not needed...

Can you recommend where to buy the necessaries to make your own?

I agree Ian but with possible new snare legislation looming it may well be a matter of having to and at least it is there if the worst happens.

I cant really comment on the above snare as i havent used one...i am an ametur snarer that prefers to make as much of my own kit as possible and one thing i can say is that after visiting the pro-trapper stand at the midland game fair i was very impressed with the huge and varied amount of stock that was available to buy....this would appeal to those that make there own snares as the normal means of aquiring the smaller items is by importing them ....i buy the majority of my snare making materials from the uk but theres also things i purchase from the states(micro locks ect)....import tax,minimum order sizes,exessive postage costs and delivery times in exess of three weeks...not any more...im going to order from pro trapper now,once ive used up what stocks i have that is....just to add,im of the same opinion as IanB when it comes to breakaways...atb

I agree Ian but with possible new snare legislation looming it may well be a matter of having to and at least it is there if the worst happens.

The way I see it is fence snaring is one of the most effective methods of snaring for controlling animals, a lot of land has boundry fencing and animals like the rabbit and fox will use these restrictions coming through or underneath them, open trail snares are good, but there not always ideal depending on the land and terrain these animals are using..

Will a breakaway do anything for a snare set at the correct height on an open trail fitted with a deer stop... not really... the deer stops there to prevent this.

Will a breakway work on a fence....mmmmm dubious ?

One big benefit is if someone places a snare too low on a trail and catches a badger, they will self release..hopefully....but then if someones setting them too low, to start with...should they be snaring foxes ?? Theres also the odd chance of someone placing a snare on a run whats used by fox and deer, were a deer has to pass under a branch or the like, these would benefit them then, but its best to avoid..

I suppose the breakaway is there if the worst happens, as you say... but then again, were does it end.... just legislate everything to death...

I agree with everything that has been said and I snare my fair share of foxes but do not use a breakaway unless I feel it is required for the situation. No one is trying to re-invent the wheel, but are trying to stay one step ahead of the ban everything lobby especially snaring. The innovative work carried out over the years but the likes of Glen Waters and others has been fantastic and glen himself designed a breakaway snare sold by Trapworks, but recent snaring law changes in Scotland and the DEFRA snare report imminently due here in England things are changing. As Ianb says fence line snaring is very effective but in Scotland now virtually impossible so it may mean that the use of code compliant snares here in England is very close and change if it happens needs to be embraced. Scotland came very close to an outright ban as has Northern Ireland but there was compromise, so if the worst happens here in England at least we are ready to offer alternatives to what is already available.

who do you think is suppling snares and advice to both the scotish basc and scotish ga and ministry but glen waters , i have myself been out with officials from the central science lab here in england and have shown them how effective snares set in correct locations and setting hights can be. hopefully this will be forthcoming in the new defra snaring program glen has been using snares which put those ones your selling to shame for years and made for a fraction of the cost my friend :thumbs: but things never work unless they are complicated :laugh:

Edited by woodga

who do you think is suppling snares and advice to both the scotish basc and scotish ga and ministry but glen waters , i have myself been out with officials from the central science lab here in england and have shown them how effective snares set in correct locations can be glen has snares which put those ones your selling to shame and made for a fraction of the cost my friend :thumbs: but things never work unless they are complicated :laugh:

I have also been out with FERA and there are actually several people supplying snares to FERA, BASC etc, I think at this sensitive time for snaring a united front would be better than my snare is better than yours approach. I know and respect Glen and its not a competion who can make the best or cheapest snare but it is the way forward like it or not.

your right about that but why should people pay extortionate prices for must have snares ??

glen is more than willing to show how to make and assemble these snares for next to nothing so that everyone gets the benefit with out certain parties making a killing you saying thats not beneficial the only people who will lose out are the ones who spent two years developing a snare which in people who know the scores opinion is out dated iv got better desiged snares hanging in my shed ian :thumbs: but thats another story, hopefully this new report will put a few discrepencies right at long last

Edited by woodga

Actually, while we're on the subject, the latest edition of the Snaring Practitioners Guide has just been published - edition 3

Anyone snaring in Scotland should have a good read of this, whether you agree with it or not. tongue2.gif

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Environment/Wildlife-Habitats/paw-scotland/Resources/Posters/Goodpracticeadvice/Snaringguide

your right about that but why should people pay extortionate prices for must have snares ??

glen is more than willing to show how to make and assemble these snares for next to nothing so that everyone gets the benefit with out certain parties making a killing you saying thats not beneficial the only people who will lose out are the ones who spent two years developing a snare which in people who know the scores opinion is out dated iv got better desiged snares haning in my shed ian :thumbs: but thats another story, hopefully this new repoert will put a few descrepencies right at long last

I agree Woodga, my price for normal snares are reasonable but this snare is not my design I am only making it and selling it at the component price, believe it or not there is no mark up whatsoever, I am all for giving value for money and all my components are competitvely priced. If I could offer my customers a breakaway snare for a fraction of the price I would do it straight away. :yes:

At what height would yous guys set your snare at on a grass run because ive been looking at this new snaring law and it says at least at 9" under normal conditions and 12" on open ground but these look quite low to the ground to me. any info a tips would be great as im just going to try for the first time cheers.

Billy