netted rabbits do you prefer dog to hold or leave

i prefer dog to leave netted rabbits while ferreting as pup as i think its easier to train to work longnets at later stage not that it stops them running into longnet a few times just think it helps imprint that mindset of netted rabbits are off limits only my opinion im sure everyone does differently

i'm training my pup at the moment,she comes out with the ferrets,she pins down rabbits in the longnet and purse nets and i don't discourage it or encourage either,it's just what she does and it does the rabbits or nets no harm,as you rightly said some will do it different,cheers......john:thumbs:

I like to the Dog to cover the Rabbit in a Purse Net but in the Long Net is a strict no no :no::no: The Dog can get there far quicker than me..... there's a difference between a Dog covering a Bolt to a Dog thats about as much use as a Chocolate Fireguard on a Days Ferreting where you have to wrestle the Rabbit,Net&Peg from half way down its throat :wallbash::wallbash:

I have said it before and will say it again.... Just because a Dog is taken out with the Ferrets DOES NOT make it a Ferreting Dog.

I have seen Dogs Smash into Longnets, go AWOL, and generally be a pain in the arse all day :censored::censored:

I have a Bitch here, marks 100%, good around the Nets but she has a MAJOR FAULT, she will go AWOL if there is a bit of a dip in the action..... to me, a Dog MUST give a 100% of its attention to the job :yes::yes: so her Ferreting days are a thing of the past and she is just a Lamping/Mooching Dog now.

I like to the Dog to cover the Rabbit in a Purse Net but in the Long Net is a strict no no :no::no: The Dog can get there far quicker than me..... there's a difference between a Dog covering a Bolt to a Dog thats about as much use as a Chocolate Fireguard on a Days Ferreting where you have to wrestle the Rabbit,Net&Peg from half way down its throat :wallbash::wallbash:

I have said it before and will say it again.... Just because a Dog is taken out with the Ferrets DOES NOT make it a Ferreting Dog.

I have seen Dogs Smash into Longnets, go AWOL, and generally be a pain in the arse all day :censored::censored:

I have a Bitch here, marks 100%, good around the Nets but she has a MAJOR FAULT, she will go AWOL if there is a bit of a dip in the action..... to me, a Dog MUST give a 100% of its attention to the job :yes::yes: so her Ferreting days are a thing of the past and she is just a Lamping/Mooching Dog now.

lurchers are pot fillers used to catch retreve to hand and a damaged rabbit is a bad rabbit,theres not many old timers left out there sunday mornings were rabbiting mornings up north yorkshire and 80 rabbits was £80 so the rabbits had to be in good nick,then the money was spent in the pub talking about a good days sport,it was ace.

soft mouth and steady learn them commands when they are pups retrieving is the first step then stay,eventually by holding your hand out they know to stay,which is the buisness when ferreting no one wants a dog running around while the ferrets down,if you carnt learn a dog basic commands then its the owner not the dog ive just been training my gwp pointer and at 3mths old he would do these commands i will see if i can put a video on cheers john.

You beat me to it Foxy. A good question indeed. :yes:

Mine are far from being called ferreting dogs, however they will try and catch whats missed, will not attack, or kill a ferret, and will not run into longnets or step on purse nets once set, and will mark too. I don't sell to no one anymore, A rabbit in the bag is good enough for me, the method in which my dogs uses isn't important to me either, but their steadyness, and obediance is.

So a good question is asked.

:thumbs: