The best reason for giving a dog a rub down the day after a hard session is that it will highlight any little strains etc but these days I don’t use a muscle rub although I used to use on based on arnica. In truth there is little to be gained as recent research suggests that massaging doesn’t really made a difference and most rubs other than ones containing anti inflammatories such as Ibuprofen are more for the mind than the body. Rest and fluids are the best recovery aids.

At little on general aches.

Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is a common problem that anyone who has occasional use of the gym will know. If you go regularly it will quickly reduce as your body adapts to the exercise until it is hard to push yourself to do enough to get more than a little tenderness. At the beginning of the season dogs are in a similar position in that there are working harder than they are used to so will need time to adapt. I get the lurchers as fit as possible prior to the season to minimize this but there is always a little fitness that will only come with work. So for the first couple of weeks take it a little easy and if the dog is very stiff the next day then give it at least 48 hours off as the risk of injury on very tight stiff muscles is greatly increased.

Yes a warm down is a good idea for man and beast as it allows the body to alter its response to exercise more gradually, when running or such like blood flow etc is redirected to the working muscles and a cool down gives time for a gradual return to resting metabolism so you don't get a sudden stop with loads of blood etc being pumped into muscles that are no longer working. A massage doesn’t have that effect as most blood flow/return is via the deep veins and the work on the muscle pump return system and unfortuninatly rubbing the outside isn’t going to recreate that process.

I always think a rub or linament is good if only to lubricate the hands while massaging the dog

i agree with sandymere it is an invaluable way of picking up on small niggles and strains and identifying any soreness

It also creates a good bond with the animal my dogs love it! i always do it every day and i use 'trainers choice' it is excellent

don't think there will be a greyhound man/woman in the land who don't massage their dogs