Barrel length change

How easy is it to change your barrel on a Remmington 223 rifle or is it easier to get a different gun just curious because i would like a shorter barrel say no more than 20" long and what would i have to say to the fac department. Any advice welcome.

take it to a good gunsmith get the barrel chopped and screwcut and recrowned and your have what you need. what is the barrel length at the moment ? 24 inchs im gussing ? your be fine going to 20 inchs. just make sure you use a good gunsmith.

as the re crown is the most important thing. if this isnt done right the rifle wont shoot for shit.

as for letting the police know. it doesnt matter you dont have to inform them you have done this as your not changing the rifle caliber its still the same rifle

Edited by jamie g

take it to a good gunsmith get the barrel chopped and screwcut and recrowned and your have what you need. what is the barrel length at the moment ? 24 inchs im gussing ? your be fine going to 20 inchs. just make sure you use a good gunsmith.

as the re crown is the most important thing. if this isnt done right the rifle wont shoot for shit.

as for letting the police know. it doesnt matter you dont have to inform them you have done this as your not changing the rifle caliber its still the same rifle

That seems the most obvious route, can't help thinking it will be the cheapest route too! :thumbs:

I had my full length .308 700SPS cut from new ...flippin ek, I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 inches I took off it...3" I think, much more manageable and it does what I want! :thumbs:

Yes the barrel is 24" and then ive got the mod on the end. As all my other guns are carbine/short barrel this one feels like im walking around with a spear,will cutting it not effect the bullet spin and twist rate and zero. Its a Remington sps 24" barrel not heavy type in 223 and ive got a Timney trigger on it and a Pes moderator. Also any ideas on prices for getting it done.

Yes the barrel is 24" and then ive got the mod on the end. As all my other guns are carbine/short barrel this one feels like im walking around with a spear,will cutting it not effect the bullet spin and twist rate and zero. Its a Remington sps 24" barrel not heavy type in 223 and ive got a Timney trigger on it and a Pes moderator. Also any ideas on prices for getting it done.

The twist rate will not be effected, zero will almost guarantee change, you may drop a fraction of speed/energy, take a look.....

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

Cost for a cut/thread/crown/proof is likely to be heading toward £100 at best, in some cases a lot more, without proof a bit less! :thumbs:

Thats a great help thanks everyone im going to think alot about it and phone around a couple gunshops and see what they think and a quote, Anybody had this sort of work done in cornwall or know of a good gunsmith for this job?.

Give me a call or contact through our webb site ukgunrepairs.co.uk we are in Somerset.

If you wish call Sage on 07831617335.