Imagine if!

Imagine if it was 19something and you had been asked advise by a novice of the sport on a crash course for getting a dog ready for deer in less than 1 month (tall order I know!) and presuming jaw stength or gameness wasn't a factor but the speed of the dog was (even if it was very fit and agile for it's breed) what would you of advised as key points to concentrate on? say the dog was of bull breeding but had no long dog in it?

Any passing comments on old training tricks would be much appreciated!

so, your asking how to get a dog of straight bull breeding "fast" enough to catch a deer...pre-ban?....well mate i wouldnt waste my time for a dog with no lurcher/longdog/running dog in it will do alot of running for very little . :no:

Thanks for Reminiscing with me! :good:

I think back then the deer would of been shot first anyway, the dog would of been taken just in case a wounded deer needed to be pulled down quickly due to location/terrain etc. I was just interested on how you used too train the dogs for holding the neck etc. rather than just grabbing the first bit it could sink it's teeth into! anyone thats been near a kicking screaming deer knows how dangerous the hooves can be! and you wouldn't of wanted to risk a dog just for one nights fun (I realize that dogs from good working stock would of probably not needed much training as natural instincts would take over). Best left at home then???

Edited by bullmastiff