would like to start fishing next season, help

hi, i havent ever done any fishing, i now live 3miles approx from a local lake i believe its well stocked with brown trout? they rent out boats as well.

where should i start,

what basic gear will i need?

what bait should i get?

best time of morning to fish

ettiquette?

no time like the present to start fishing, them big pike down your way will be getting fat round about now

niall_b73

havent got the gear yet, dont know where to start + im busy from now til spring hunting with the dogs and bringing on pups.

plan to buy all the gear in bits and pieces over the winter.

i see you are friends with "jf1970" i'd say him and his mate would show & tell you how what all you need and how to go about it.

i do believe they are pretty good at the fishing scene down your way.... i have seen some of pictures and the do get big fish.

other than that keep asking on here and you should get all the help you need.

niall_b73

hi, i havent ever done any fishing, i now live 3miles approx from a local lake i believe its well stocked with brown trout? they rent out boats as well.

where should i start,

what bait should i get?

ettiquette?

where should i start,

You could probably start by going down to the lake this season and talking to a few of the anglers and bailiffs, they will no doubt tell you the best way to start off

By far the easiest way to start of trout fishing is by spinning but you will have to check the rules to see what methods are allowed

For a rod something like This

For a reel something like This

Line

End tackle

But if spinning is against the rules you'll have to float fish which is a little more complicated. the line and reel can stay the same

but for a rod you could use This

And end tackle really depends on the layout of the lake and its best to ask the bailiffs/regulars.

what bait should i get?

Again depends on the rules of the lake best to use is maggots but they are often banned so i would use normal garden earth worms.

ettiquette?

You have answered your own question there

Anymore questions just ask :thumbs:

Richard

Hello CarraghsGem, firstly if you intend to start your fishing with trout & salmon using maggots and earthworms is illegal in southern Ireland whilst fishing for these species.

Float fishing for trout is also a no no but some salmon fisheries allow it, as Niall has said above contact your friend for information and advice.

I'll try answer any questions you ask generally but local knowledge is the key to success.

With regard to getting new gear to start you off get cash as xmas presents and use it to buy gear at the fishing show held in early February at the exhibition centre near Swords Co. Dublin,the prices are very competitive but be sure to bring an experienced angler with you to ensure you are buying quality at the right price as opposed to poor quality at the wrong price.