saluki v deerhound

saluki v's deerhound, 1st question, both distance runners but how does everyone rate both x's on stamina on there own ground. could a saluki run on the ground a deerhound was bred for and match it for stamina or vice versa could the deerhound match the saluki on the ground it was bred for. 2nd question, if both were put in a straight line race over a mile for example could a full deerhound match the saluki on the flat or would it take a 1/2 cross deerhound/greyhound or 3/8ths/5/8ths or 1/4 deerhound/greyhound to match the lighter framed saluki. im only asking as this has bugged me for a while both are well known for there stamina but which x has it. i know the saluki boys will pick there own and same with the deerhound followers but where does everyone else stand on both.

cheers bucky

One thing you need to remember, when you speak about deerhounds is that somewhere about the beginning of the 19th century the deerhound had almost died out. the dogs of today may look like the dogs of old that were bred for hunting deer, but the modern dogs of today were never bred for work and carry the blood of other breeds used to revive them , such as borzoi, bloodhound and I've even read of pyrenean mountain dog ! So that might explain why all the deerhounds I've seen run, didn't live up to their reputation. The saluki on the other hand has been kept pure for centuries.

saluki v's deerhound, 1st question, both distance runners but how does everyone rate both x's on stamina on there own ground. could a saluki run on the ground a deerhound was bred for and match it for stamina or vice versa could the deerhound match the saluki on the ground it was bred for. 2nd question, if both were put in a straight line race over a mile for example could a full deerhound match the saluki on the flat or would it take a 1/2 cross deerhound/greyhound or 3/8ths/5/8ths or 1/4 deerhound/greyhound to match the lighter framed saluki. im only asking as this has bugged me for a while both are well known for there stamina but which x has it. i know the saluki boys will pick there own and same with the deerhound followers but where does everyone else stand on both.

cheers bucky

One thing you need to remember, when you speak about deerhounds is that somewhere about the beginning of the 19th century the deerhound had almost died out. the dogs of today may look like the dogs of old that were bred for hunting deer, but the modern dogs of today were never bred for work and carry the blood of other breeds used to revive them , such as borzoi, bloodhound and I've even read of pyrenean mountain dog ! So that might explain why all the deerhounds I've seen run, didn't live up to their reputation. The saluki on the other hand has been kept pure for centuries.

Thats wolfhounds not deerhounds init?.

Im a bit baffeled by the original question are you talking about pure Salukis and pure deerhounds or the above crossed with greyhounds because you refer to repectivly as Xs????

saluki v's deerhound, 1st question, both distance runners but how does everyone rate both X'S on stamina on there own ground. could a saluki run on the ground a deerhound was bred for and match it for stamina or vice versa could the deerhound match the saluki on the ground it was bred for. 2nd question, if both were put in a straight line race over a mile for example could a full deerhound match the saluki on the flat or would it take a 1/2 cross deerhound/greyhound or 3/8ths/5/8ths or 1/4 deerhound/greyhound to match the lighter framed saluki. im only asking as this has bugged me for a while both are well known for there stamina but which X has it. i know the saluki boys will pick there own and same with the deerhound followers but where does everyone else stand on both.

cheers bucky

See what i mean?

cheers bucky

Thats wolfhounds not deerhounds init?.

Im a bit baffeled by the original question are you talking about pure Salukis and pure deerhounds or the above crossed with greyhounds because you refer to repectivly as Xs????

No mate, I'm referring to deerhounds although your right, same thing happened with wolfhounds also.

Although i own a full deerhound - i would have to go for the saluki, in both stamina/distance and speed,

deerhounds can be quite lazy buggers and unless its worth there while, they wont put everything in to it.

what aload of crap perhaps you just ruined the dog. deerhounds have been used here for hundreds of years just because the chav bridage use brain dead bull x the deerhound has become quite redundant as a breed and all the history and tradiation seems to be flushed down the drain by addias wearing brain dead bull x owners makes me mad. i used to know a guy running 1st x deerhound/grey do 3-3 in small fields in ireland on hare and 30+ rabbits on lamp one of the best dogs he ever had.pity more people just on the bull x bandwagon for bigger game.

A 1st x deer/grey is a totaly different kettle of fish to a full bred D/H,

not to mention they might have been used were you live for generations,

but over time the deerhound that was known back then have changed some what.

And no she hasnt been ruined.

romany52 - there was pyrenean bred in to one line, Sir Walter Scott’s famous deerhound Maida, dam was a deerhound and sire was a pyrenean,

you also have to remember as the deerhound pool is quite small, most deerhounds are related - wolfhound has also been bred in to the deerhound at one stage aswell,

The Deerhound is closely related to the Irish Wolfhound and was the main contributor to the recovery of that breed when it was re-created at the end of the 19th century.

so thats why a lot of deerhounds you see today an be quite bulcky, not to mention the resion the deerhounds of today,

can suffer from liver shunt.

Although i own a full deerhound - i would have to go for the saluki, in both stamina/distance and speed,

deerhounds can be quite lazy buggers and unless its worth there while, they wont put everything in to it.

what aload of crap perhaps you just ruined the dog. deerhounds have been used here for hundreds of years just because the chav bridage use brain dead bull x the deerhound has become quite redundant as a breed and all the history and tradiation seems to be flushed down the drain by addias wearing brain dead bull x owners makes me mad. i used to know a guy running 1st x deerhound/grey do 3-3 in small fields in ireland on hare and 30+ rabbits on lamp one of the best dogs he ever had.pity more people just on the bull x bandwagon for bigger game.

A 1st x deer/grey is a totaly different kettle of fish to a full bred D/H,

not to mention they might have been used were you live for generations,

but over time the deerhound that was known back then have changed some what.

And no she hasnt been ruined.

romany52 - there was pyrenean bred in to one line, Sir Walter Scott’s famous deerhound Maida, dam was a deerhound and sire was a pyrenean,

you also have to remember as the deerhound pool is quite small, most deerhounds are related - wolfhound has also been bred in to the deerhound at one stage aswell,

The Deerhound is closely related to the Irish Wolfhound and was the main contributor to the recovery of that breed when it was re-created at the end of the 19th century.

so thats why a lot of deerhounds you see today an be quite bulcky, not to mention the resion the deerhounds of today,

can suffer from liver shunt.

The quote suggests that the deerhound was used in the recovery of the wolfhound breed at the end of the 19th century not the other way round dosnt it.....???????

As I understand it; the IRISH WOLFHOUND had died out, and the Scottish Deerhound, Great Dane, Borzoi, and other breeds were used to recreate the IRISH WOLFHOUND. Scottish Deerhound stock went dangerously low when the Sporting Gun was invented, but some strains were kept by die hard breeders and made a comeback in the late 19th century. It's possible other breeds may have been added, but they certainly WERN'T a "re-created" breed like the Wolfhound ! It's common knowledge that lines such as Ardkinglass had English Greyhound introduced every five generations os so, to keep the speed up.

As far as the "Saluki v Deerhound" debate.... Who cares ??? They both have a lot to offer in the breeding of Lurchers !

Cheers.

• Like 1

saluki v's deerhound, 1st question, both distance runners but how does everyone rate both X'S on stamina on there own ground. could a saluki run on the ground a deerhound was bred for and match it for stamina or vice versa could the deerhound match the saluki on the ground it was bred for. 2nd question, if both were put in a straight line race over a mile for example could a full deerhound match the saluki on the flat or would it take a 1/2 cross deerhound/greyhound or 3/8ths/5/8ths or 1/4 deerhound/greyhound to match the lighter framed saluki. im only asking as this has bugged me for a while both are well known for there stamina but which X has it. i know the saluki boys will pick there own and same with the deerhound followers but where does everyone else stand on both.

cheers bucky

See what i mean?

PURE