Pup fat???

Iv'e been feedin my pup on chicken mince and tripe mince mixed wit a bit of carrot twice a day and a splash of cod liver oil once a day.

I thought she was lookin real good but then I took her for a walk with her brother my mate got him jus up the road from me and he seems more slender and a little quicker!! :blink:

I'm confused at what to do now do I lower how much I give her or do I put her on buiscuit or stay the same!!

One thing I have noticed since I introduced tripe to the chicken is that she is much more energetic and is difficult to get her listening at times!!

Any advice would be great!!

Happy Hunting!!!!

Guest Jane Russell

I'm not an expert ... but ... if she is getting plenty of exercise then she is probably getting too much food. What type of dog is she, how old is she and how much exercise and what exact quantities of food is she getting? Given that information, there will be bound to be someone on here who can help :)

Jane

She's a collie/grey X whippet I take her for a 30 min walk in the morning and then a long walk in the night about hour and a half at time but a hour minimum!!!

Ive been told that two much could damage her so try to keep it to hour and a half!!

She's 16 weeks old!!! She's getting half a pound of tripe in the morning and 1/4 of chicken mince and exactly the same in the evening!!!

Thanks

Guest samstheman

All dogs, even lurchers, differ in build, depending on the breeding. I remember taking my identical twin daughters to the docs years ago stating that one of them was thinner than the other (they were both healthy, just differed in weight). The doc simply said " Would you be worried if you had nothing to compare to?" The answer was "No". Moral of the story, if you think your dog looks good, and does the business , don't worry about it! She seems to be getting a well balanced diet to me. Puppy fat leaves dogs at different stages (still got mine at 40 years of age :rofl: ). Keep up the exercise and I'm sure she'll come out tops. The worst thing anyone does is try to keep up with the Jones's ;) p.s., your mate may think your dog looks better than his.............. :D

She's a collie/grey X whippet I take her for a 30 min walk in the morning and then a long walk in the night about hour and a half at time but a hour minimum!!!

Ive been told that two much could damage her so try to keep it to hour and a half!!

She's 16 weeks old!!! She's getting half a pound of tripe in the morning and 1/4 of chicken mince and exactly the same in the evening!!!

Thanks

I think personnely that and hour and a half's walk is too much for a 16 week old, I'd just take her for 2, 30 mins walks one the morning and one in the evening, and also play learning in the house or garden threw the day,

I may get slated for this but I'd never feed a pup tripe until they were at least 7-8 months old, too rich for puppies for my liking, I keep all my dogs on a dry complete puppy food (soaked until mushy until 3 months old) and then mixed with puppy meat until they are 1 year old, that way they get all the nutrition a growing pup needs (and you know for sure it's good because it's specially made for pups)

anyway all people are different, this is just the way I like to do it, some pups may thrive with tripe, but I just prefer a good complete puppy food, until they are 1 :D

Guest Jane Russell

It's interesting to know what different people feed their dogs. My puppy likes Nature Diet puppy food. It smells revolting -- I think that's why she likes it :icon_redface: She isn't much of a biscuit fan. She gets 20 mins walk morning and evening and about an hour in the middle of the day -- she 19 weeks old but a lot of the walk is sniffing (Jack Russell) rather than exercising :rolleyes: She still has puppy-hips ... so do I :(

Jane

This is going to be interesting to find out how other people feed thier pups, but like you Jane I prefer a puppy food designed for puppies, that way you know they are getting all they need from it :) in my eye's tripe is very high in fat/protein and is designed for working dogs to help maintain them, not for growing pups who are too young to be worked hard.

Guest Jane Russell

Nature diet has some tripe in it. But it's a very dry, wet food which she does well on. I notice she'll eat her biscuit if I stick it together with Nature diet. Use other wet food and she eats round the biscuit and pushes it off the plate :blink:

I suppose the best diet is the one that your dog/s do well on and which suits your routine. I am not sure I am brave enough to take the plunge and try a raw diet although it seems to make excellent sense to me :hmm:

Jane

If she's only 16 weeks old never worry about her size aslong as she not thin or obese.. a little bit of extra weight on a pup is no bad thing, aslong as they're getting plenty of good feeding and a bit of exercise and plenty of playing time she'll come along just nice. A pup doesn't need to be fit. Also like someone has said a litter of pups does not mean all the pups will be the same size and shape, have the same speed etc.

To be honest 2 hours walking aday sounds like alot for such a young pup.. at any sort of a decent pace that would be near 4 mile. Personnally i wouldn't give a pup near that, bit of exercise and alot of playing about does it for me.. along with a bit of training :icon_redface::D . Each to their own though.

I think some of the best advice i was ever give was ''Let them be pups''. All the best with your pup and listen to any decent replys you are given, theres a few expierienced dog men on here who are always willing to help with excellent advice. Good luck..

Hi all: just being reading this thread: one of my 'pet' interests. Sorry, but tripe is not high in protein at all: quite the opposite. But you are right that it is high in fat. It also lacks a lot of vital nutrients such as calcium which is important for growing bones etc.

Minced whole chicken, minced meat, chicken wings, a little bit of tripe (dogs love it cos it stinks!) and lots of raw, minced veg. A dash of SA37 to make sure they are getting all the minerals and vitamins (stops me worrying lol)is the way I have more or less gone over to during the past year, having fed Purina Proplan Puppy for donkey's years.

What have I noticed? that the pups don't grow quite as fast (upwards, that is), but they look really good and are very full of energy. I must admit I have been bothered for years about the very high protein content of the premium brand complete foods: t'aint natural: and I'd never go back to feeding complete.

Also my adult dogs look much better, less 'stodgy' (they do get more tripe, as their growing is finished and the fat gives them energy): and of course they all crap small, solid 'foxy' turds which hardly smell at all. Give it a go............you won't be sorry. All you need is a decent sized freezer. And of course they get gutted rabbit in the winter as well: just frozen for 3 weeks to kill the tapeworm cysts: leave the fur on too: they love it even more.

all the best

SK

personnaly i think that the amount of walking is to much as has been said by everybody else ... 2 30 min walks a day are plenty for a pup of that age ... as for the feeding 2 lots 3/4 of a pound of meat is in my opinion to much for a pup of that breeding and age ... i have a collie grey first cross here that is the same age as your pup and she gets a 1/2lb mixture of beef and chicken with a handfull of mixed fruite and veg twice a day and a tin of tuna or sardines or some scrambelled egg at midday .... i would personally feed a 50/50 mix of chicken and tripe as tripe is very low in protein ... and its protein that a healthy pup needs to grow (as does everything else in the animal world) .... i also chuck in 1/4 teaspoon of SA37 in the evening feed ........

EDITED TO ADD SKYCAT YOU BEAT ME TO IT ............

Edited by socks

wow, theres something I've learned today, I've always read that tripe is high protein, well you live and learn, my pups also have SA37 suppliment mixed with there food, and my bitch had it threw her pregnancy too, as well as raspberry leaf's :D

I've tryed the BARF diet but my dogs didn't thrive on it at all, it went straight threw them, they enjoy the odd chicken wing still ;)