foxes

Hi, I wonder if anybody had a similar experiance with foxes..... back in the early 70's in south Cumbria a freind of mine was out with his bedlington lurcher and his blue rough coated lakeland- patterdale terrier, back in those days not all patterdales were black and smoth coated and he came from good working stock from around Kendal, anyway his dogs put up a fox, ran it and cought it, when he got to them they were raging it and it appeared to him that it was dead, he thought nice work dogs, picked the fox up swung it round his head and threw it, as soon as that fox hit the ground it was off running, it was just playing possom.

I know a lot of you guys are going to say if his lurcher was a bull cross it would not have happened, back then you would never see the type of bull crosses that are around today.

I see where a guy said hares do not go to ground, back then we put them to ground when pressed hard, not a lot but I have seen it, put them in water too when pressed hard, I guess you would do whatever to survive.

Maca

my mates grandfather once told us that he once dug down to his terrier and a very limp dead fox, after he pulled out the fox him and his mate all had hold of it and examined it, they layed it on the field and got stuck in with the backfill when he turned around to pick up the fox it had scarpered, it also was playing possum or as we would say "it was foxun"

as reguards to putting hares to ground, last winter i was out and my lurcher put a hare to ground in a disused fox earth, it was the 1st time that had ever happened to me ;)

hi mate iv never heard of a fox playing possom before, that would be something to see. iv put a hare to ground with my old lurcher a few years back couldnt believe me eyes :icon_eek:

then about a year later i was at the local coursing meet when it happend again (crafty buggers)