second hand poles.

thinking of getting a second hand pole.can you put smaaler gauge elastic into a top section.eg if it has a 20 elastic can i change it to a six.want to chase some classy roach not them mug carp over stocked into a mucky puddle :whistling:

if its a half decent pole it will have match top with it which will have small elastic in it. the bush on a top with 20 elastic in it will be too big for a 6 or 8 elastic and it will have been cut back too far to fit a smaller bush.you can always buy a match top to fit the pole and have whatever elastic you want fitted into it. :thumbs:

if its a half decent pole it will have match top with it which will have small elastic in it. the bush on a top with 20 elastic in it will be too big for a 6 or 8 elastic and it will have been cut back too far to fit a smaller bush.you can always buy a match top to fit the pole and have whatever elastic you want fitted into it. :thumbs:

cheers robbo :thumbs:

Guest arch1

The simple answer, IMO is yes. The only problem is if the connector you use for the number six laccy is very small, it might go back through the bigger number 20 bush.

Forgive me if i sound condercending here, but i always found it better to cut more off your number one section than you think. That way the tip is stiffer and doesn't bend as much, so when youv'e got a fish on, the elastic will not stick to the inside of the bent tip section and run more freely. Iv'e fell for this on more than one occasion and still ended up cutting off more tip (More bushes to buy too). Iv'e also tried to work out how much moneys worth of my new pole i'm chucking away. Some lads i know don't even bother, they just bush up the number two section.

HTH,

Arch.

Edited by Ossie'n'Arch

im not saying that you cant cut tops back mate . what i was trying to say was that you cant fit a bush for a number 6 elastic where a bush for a number 20 elastic has already been. you say in your opinion that it would be ok to put a 6 elastic through a 20 bush, then explain why you shouldnt. IMO if your going to do the job, do it properly. :thumbs:

when i am fishing for silver fish on the pole i like to have the full match top and to cut the least i can as i find when cutting back you can bump off the smaller fish i like the play in the pole aswell as in the elastic

atb farmer

Guest arch1

im not saying that you cant cut tops back mate . what i was trying to say was that you cant fit a bush for a number 6 elastic where a bush for a number 20 elastic has already been. you say in your opinion that it would be ok to put a 6 elastic through a 20 bush, then explain why you shouldnt. IMO if your going to do the job, do it properly. :thumbs:

I'm not dissagreeing with you Robbo, not at all, i think a 6 laccy through a 20 bush would do just fine, just as long as the number 6 connector doesn't get jammed inside the 20 bush. My preference is to cut loads off my number one section, fit a large bush and elasticate whats left of the whole top 3. Iv'e done it with all my top kits, even with the number 2 elastic. I find the elastic works better that way.

If someone only has 1 or 2 top kits i think it's better to have large bushes fitted. That way they will take all sizes of elastic, and they could change elastic as and when required. Something i used to have to do when i didn't have many top kits. :thumbs:

sorry if last post seemed argumentative ossie n arch, i suppose thats a good way if you havent got many tops mate.never thought about it like that as second hand poles i have bought have had plenty of tops, or i have been able to buy a new top. if you do fit a small elastic into a large bush it may be a good idea to fit a small bead over the elastic behind the connector to prevent the connector going inside the bush. :thumbs:

Edited by robbo