God bless the Germans

Well while waiting tonight for a cub I saw going into a rape field the other morning, i had just about given up.

It was almost dark and I could no longer make out the many rabbits running around with my naked eye, when a movement caught my attention in the hedge line.

Swinging onto it with my Zeiss FL's I quickly made out it was an OTTER never seen one on the shoot before and he cleared the field in no time holding his tail high like a rat.

I then scanned back to where he had come from, another I thought to my self but then could clearly see those triangle ears sticking up.

I got my Zeiss rangefinder and to my amazement could still see him 198yds.

It would have to come out and give me a broadside as I didn't fancy a head shot at that time of night at that range.

I waited and waited till eventually it walked away from the hedge.

Holding the crosshairs of the scmidt on its back (the rifle was zeroed with privi 139sp's an inch high at 100m's) (the scope was set on X8), I released the round "smack" came back the reply. The time 10.37p.m. and it was now very dark.

I walked down the hedge and picked up the cub, a perfect lung shot.

10 minutes later I was back at the car with the fox and got a snap.

I can honestly say German optics ARE worth every penny. But you all knew that anyway.

Photo to follow when I upload it tomorrow.

• Like 1

GRANGECUB.jpg

Wouldn't have been my first choice of gun and calibre/bullet.

My 6.5x55 finlite with privi 139's SP zeroed at 140m's but had been getting a zero fixed with the mod on and its what ihad with me.

Luckily its fitted with a 3-12X50 schmidt.

super rifle calibre & set , i shoot similar. friend ask me to remove goat from moorland, they no come in, for 2 year. I take at 350-400 metre with pp139 s/p easy.

well done, good read :thumbs:

zeiss make superb optics, for lots of different things. glasses,optics,rangefinders,bino. etc

they are dear but you get what you pay for just got a victory 6x24x56 for my 22/250 and optics are stunning. havent had it ouyt a night yet under lamp as i have got to set it up 1st.

hopefully the weekend will be nice and windless to do this. ive also got a zeiss conquest on the 222. this is made in the usa so doesnt have the german glass like the victory. but is still super clear.

001-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

Sorry about the quality of this one left the camera on the coffee table this was off my well used phone.

cubs.jpg

I love German glass and finnish rifles.

just selling my leica duovids on ebay i now have some zeiss f.l.'s10X42's

My ansutz HMR wears a Kahles(austrian)2.2-9X42 (sharp optics)

a.jpg

X2 sako's and a Tikka dlx.

wearing X2 zeiss 3-12X56 V+varipoint and a 3-12X50 S+B.