need advice on fac

i have 22 rimfire and moderator on my fac but it dosnt state whever its for 22lr or magnem on it so could i buy either?

whats the advantages of the magnum or is the 22lr better due to ammo prices and noise reduction?

Edited by shottyscotty

if you have 22 and mod on ticket mate it means 22lr not magnum i had the same querry as you pal f/o told me this . you have to be specific for what calibre you wish to use hope this helps. if you were going down the magnum road though would go for a .17 same case diff head deadly accurate and fast for what it is atb willum

i have 22 rimfire and moderator on my fac but it dosnt state whever its for 22lr or magnem on it so could i buy either?

whats the advantages of the magnum or is the 22lr better due to ammo prices and noise reduction?

Nope, if your certificate only states .22 then your stuck with a .22rf.

.222, .223, .22-250 all have a bore diameter of .22.

The .22 WMR has much higher muzzle velocities. Many would suggest the .22lr has vastly many more advantages over the .22WMR.

It all depends what you are going to shoot with the rifle and at what range.

If noise is an issue where you shoot then the WMR isn't going to be much use. If you tend to find that you shoot rabbits at 100 yards, and see the occasional fox then the .22WMR will have distinct advantages over the .22lr.

As for ammo cost, if money is an issue then don't buy a .243 with ammunition costing £28 + for 20 rounds :icon_eek:

John

As I understand it, as the certificate states only calibre, you can hold a .22 mag or a .22 lr on a .22 slot on the cert. .22 does not only cover .22lr. If your FEO told you that it does, then he's wrong! I know several people who quite legally hold .22 mag (rimfire magnums) on a .22 slot.

.22Rimfire is a very unspecific listing and leads to posts like this.

Mine, and everyone else I know specifically lists...lr...WMR...NOT Rimfire!

This is bad form on the part of the police, but I have gathered through the pages of this site that some people do have a listing of rimfire.

Should not happen in my view and is yet another example of the way different regions deal with firearms.

Deker. The forms specifically ask for calibre ONLY, not case type, not anything else except for the calibre! I have asked for .22 rimfire, it gives me the flexibility to choose the rifle I need.

Problem is you will find it does not.

Many RFD will be unhappy with .22Rimfire and may well refuse you WMR, others may be ok.

It is bad wording and bad form as you have to justify the usage of each gun, there is a lot of difference between a .22lr and a .22WMR!

It's just unclear and handled differently by different regions and different RFD. It should not be!

Edited by Deker

You can buy/acquire/possess anything that is a .22RF with this authority.

J.

Why not just put in a quick call to your licensing office it would be a lot more sense than taking advice from a forum on the legality of a firearms purchase :thumbs:

if you have 22 and mod on ticket mate it means 22lr not magnum i had the same querry as you pal f/o told me this . you have to be specific for what calibre you wish to use hope this helps. if you were going down the magnum road though would go for a .17 same case diff head deadly accurate and fast for what it is atb willum

If your cert says ".22 Rim-fire" then you can acquire any .22 RF firearm. You may be told that that you can only acquire a .22lr but how can that be true? What are you going to be charged with? The only thing is an offence under Sec.1 relating to possession or acquiring. If you have a slot which says ".22RF" then how can you be convicted of acquiring a .22RF?

I have to disagree. From a legal point of view it is very specific. If they prosecute you they have to show that you have acquired something for which you do not have an FAC. If you have an FAC which says ".22Rim-Fire" the court will ask only two questions; "Is this a .22?" and; "is this a rimfire?". If you are possessing a .22WMR on a .22RF authority then how could you possibly be convicted of unlawful possession as it's a .22 cal and is a rim-fire?

In fact, if it's an offence to possess a .22WMR on a .22RF authority, then surely so would it be to possess a .22LR, or a .22 Short, or a .22Long on that authority? Ergo, a .22RF authority would be useless as you coudn't possess anything on it.

J.

As I understand it, as the certificate states only calibre, you can hold a .22 mag or a .22 lr on a .22 slot on the cert. .22 does not only cover .22lr. If your FEO told you that it does, then he's wrong! I know several people who quite legally hold .22 mag (rimfire magnums) on a .22 slot.

I have had a .22 Hornet on a slot which says ".22 rifle" for probably 12+ years. I can't see any offence that I'm commiting by doing so.

J.

I have to disagree. From a legal point of view it is very specific. If they prosecute you they have to show that you have acquired something for which you do not have an FAC. If you have an FAC which says ".22Rim-Fire" the court will ask only two questions; "Is this a .22?" and; "is this a rimfire?". If you are possessing a .22WMR on a .22RF authority then how could you possibly be convicted of unlawful possession as it's a .22 cal and is a rim-fire?

In fact, if it's an offence to possess a .22WMR on a .22RF authority, then surely so would it be to possess a .22LR, or a .22 Short, or a .22Long on that authority? Ergo, a .22RF authority would be useless as you coudn't possess anything on it.

J.

J

I take your point and see your argument but the rimfire term is still very unspecific as it covers so many possibilities. On the basis you have to justify every tool in the cabinet it should not be used in my view. The paperwork should be specific, ie .22lr or .22WMR or whatever.

The legalities of the term is irrelevant and I have no issue with what it means, the problem is interpretation in the eyes of RFD, etc.

There should be no debate and no discussion on what terms on your FAC mean! :thumbs: