hello this is probabley a silly wuestion but here goes. I am in the process on getting my shotty licence. i am going to out the cabinate in the loft. i was wondering how to word it on the certificate or if i had to out down and specific things not just write "in the loft"? no pointless responces please.

Many thanks

Tom

cant remember having to give a cabinet location on the application, just told my FAO where I intended to put it, and he was quite happy with that, he then took a quick look after it was fitted

specific things not just write "in the loft"? no pointless responces please.

Many thanks

Tom

Tom; The shotguns will be stored in a B.S kite marked gun safe at Toms house, Down the lane, near lane-in-town. I have sole access to the cabinet which is not shared by other certificate holders. That's all you need to write.

John

That's normally enough info for the forms, as the FEO will come and look at your arrangement.

Just a question, do you have easy access to the loft, such as a fixed ladder? The HO guidelines say that the cabinet should be readily accessible, as there is more chance of people leaving guns lying about if the cabinets are a pain to access. The FEO will advise you on that aspect!

I have heard of people being refused their certificate as they intended to keep the gun in a cabinet in a loft...........they said you dont really need one as you wont be getting it out that often if you need to get a ladder and torch to climb into the loft to get the gun out

I think the cabinet needs to be in an external wall preferably out of sight but in easy access

Mine is fastened to an external wall in a built in wardrobe in a bedroom

besides if you are invaded by zombies and need the shotgun fast its no use in the loft :thumbs:

I have heard of people being refused their certificate as they intended to keep the gun in a cabinet in a loft...........they said you dont really need one as you wont be getting it out that often if you need to get a ladder and torch to climb into the loft to get the gun out

I think the cabinet needs to be in an external wall preferably out of sight but in easy access

besides if you are invaded by zombies and need the shotgun fast its no use in the loft :thumbs:

The guidelines say that it should be a solid brick or stone wall (including breezeblocks). No mention of it being an external wall, though a supporting wall on a modern house is probably your best bet, as the others can be pretty flimsy!

You CAN attach it to a plasterboard stud wall, but you'd probably need to plate the opposite side with a metal sheet to give a suitable fixing.

The best person to advise is your FEO, as they'll know what they are willing to accept (should be standard, but blatantly isn't!) If you think your security meets the legal test (a "reasonable standard") but they aren't for agreeing, have a word with the BASC lot.

It doesn't even need to be in a cabinet. There are suitable methods of securing firearms without, but a cabinet makes it far more difficult for plod to argue. Have to say, I've spoken to loads of people, and the FEO's seem totally reasonable about what is adequate security.

The guidelines say that it should be a solid brick or stone wall (including breezeblocks). No mention of it being an external wall, though a supporting wall on a modern house is probably your best bet, as the others can be pretty flimsy!

You CAN attach it to a plasterboard stud wall, but you'd probably need to plate the opposite side with a metal sheet to give a suitable fixing.

The best person to advise is your FEO, as they'll know what they are willing to accept (should be standard, but blatantly isn't!) If you think your security meets the legal test (a "reasonable standard") but they aren't for agreeing, have a word with the BASC lot.

It doesn't even need to be in a cabinet. There are suitable methods of securing firearms without, but a cabinet makes it far more difficult for plod to argue. Have to say, I've spoken to loads of people, and the FEO's seem totally reasonable about what is adequate security.

sorry yeah i meant a solid stone,brick or breeze block wall....i do live in a modern town house so the only proper walls are the external ones.....all the others you could pull a cabinet off taking part of the wall with it

That said my other point i heard someone got refused as the place they decided to stick the cabinet made it hard to get to (in a loft needing a ladder and torch) and the feo refused them stating you cant use a gun often enough to need one if its stored so hard to get in and out.......so i would state try for the understairs cupboard or a bedroom for its location, as then you can show you will be taking it out and using it regularly and also it will be easy enough to pop it back afterwards allaying their worry that you may just stick it under the bed :thumbs:

A mate of mine has his cabinet bolted to the joists in the loft. His FEO was quite happy with this,as the loft ladder is easy to use. He did say however, that he would not be happy if it meant dragging some steps out of the garage then upstairs.As Compo says, the temptation to not put it away would be perceived as rather high.

I don't like the way his gun is all but frozen in winter. I have read where someone suggested a low wattage lamp in the cabinet to keep the temperature reasonable.