Little hunting story: last week's drive in Burlo, Western Germany

Guest louisvanhovell

Guest louisvanhovell

Hello hunters!

I'm Louis van Hövell, I live in Holland, and in my first message on this forum, I had promised to write a story or two about my hunting experiences this winter. This one is about last week's drive in Burlo, a beautiful region in Western Germany.

On a cold friday evening, my friend and I drove to the farm near the German border where all the hunters would gather, eat and sleep. It's a very old place with a lot of atmosphere, in which we have good conversations, whilst sitting at the fireplace with a glass of whisky in one hand a piece of French cheese in the other. When you look up, you will see that the mighty head of a Kudu, which one of my friends shot in Africa, is staring at you.

When I woke up at 7 the following morning, I opened the curtains, and concluded that it was goinig to be a wet and cold day. These aren't the most pleasant conditions, but in one way or another, I think they contribute to the atmosphere of a hunting day. And let's not forget that when you sit in your comfortable chair at the end of such a day, you appreciate the warmth and comfort of the house even more.

Once we had reached the hunting grounds, we greeted Horst, the gamekeeper, the German participants, and the farmers to wich the fields belong. Horst gave an opening speech, in which he summed up the rules and told us what we were allowed to shoot: rabbits, hares, pheasants, ducks, pigeons, partridges (the first time in years), snipes and foxes. Then he opened the shoot with his horn, which made the adrenaline flow in our bodies. The dogs started to bark, and we all entered the cart. Our group consisted of about 15 guns, 20 beaters and 5 dogs - a higly effective group!

After a fantastic day in the wilderness, enjoying the surroundings, the beautiful animals and the excitement of the hunt, we laid the game on the grass and counted fourty five animals: twenty pheasants, eleven hares, only two rabbits (one with the beginning signs of mixomatosis), two pigeons, one snipe and nine ducks (unfortunately, no partridges). The gamekeeper ended the shoot by blowing a different melody on his horn for every game-type. This was almost a religious moment, on which we could all thank nature for providing us with the beautiful game. I know this sounds rather soft, but in my opinion, it is a good thing to have a moment of silence and thankfulness after each hunt. What do you think about this tradition? Is it the same in your countries? I would be interested to know!

So after the traditional closing of the hunt, we all received an animal or two, and had quite a few drinks around the fire that Horst had made on the grass. With a deeply satisfied feeling, we went back to our farm, hoping that the women would have prepared a good meal...!

This friday, I will go to Belgium, where I will participate in my first wild boar-hunt! Again as a beater, though!

Regards,

Louis

Guest louisvanhovell

Yes, I've heard that mister Blair hasn't got very warm feelings for hunters. Are the Tories less anti-hunting? Do you think that fox-hunting could be legalized again?

Sniffer: I must admit that I've never had a British hare in my hands, but you could be right that 'our' hares are very large. I'd say about 70 centimeters from toe to toe and a good 3.5 kilos. I'll make extra sure that there are enough carrots in Holland and Germany to keep them here! Hares can swim after all...!