The ring on the Pinkfooted Goose was put there as part of the BTO goose monitoring program. This bird was caught in a cannon net as a juvenile bird in Aberdeenshire along with many others, it had a neck and leg ring put on and was then released into the wild again.

It was shot (just wing tip damage) in Fife four days later and has lived in this collection ever since, it's about 3 years old now.

The rest of the pinks and greys in this collection were also casualties of war, :11: 3 of the geese have been with us for 12 years now. They were wounded birds caught on Montrose Basin by the then warden.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by mj robson

They are mostly pets, although we did sell a few of the birds we bred to wildfowl collectors, at one point we had 18 Pintail and sucessfully bred Hawian Geese, the rarest goose in the world and 8th rarest bird.

We have given away a lot of the birds in recent years and only have a small collection now.

Mark.

Millet,

They do put a metal numbered ring around the leg but in recent years they also started putting larger plastic rings on so the birdy boys could see them easier and call in the sightings. They first started with small (but bigger than the metal ones) plastic rings on the opposite leg to the metal ones but they were often still too hard to see so they put these even bigger rings around their necks. They even experimented with spray painting the white tail flanks with a yellow paint so the ringed birds stood out from the crowds more! That didn't last long though.

A mate of mine shot a left and right at Greylags one night with this yellow paint on, they had been rung that morning less than 3 mile away! :laugh:

Here is an example of a return,

61822199_2e37373f60.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by mj robson
  • 2 weeks later...

How do winged birds settle in captivity? In my area quite a number of birds collide with overhead power cables - many are killed tho' some have only wing damage. The fox I assume picks most of them up eventually. My friend was birdwatching about 4 years ago and witnessed 7 brent hitting the wires at the one time. There was a brent knocking around a few days ago with a damaged wing. I've sometimes wondered would they ever settle in captivity.

PS. Of the 7 that hit the wires, we ate 3 or 4 - (quite salty, but OK)