A few that i have bred this year, note the elephant hawk caterpillar in "daytime" mode. This is the reason why they are not often seen, because during the daytime they often sit at ground level. :victory:

Some very colourful ones...

post-16-050475700 1277921873_thumb.jpg

post-16-093947300 1277921887_thumb.jpg

post-16-086820600 1277921899_thumb.jpg

A few that i have bred this year, note the elephant hawk caterpillar in "daytime" mode. This is the reason why they are not often seen, because during the daytime they often sit at ground level. :victory:

Whats the biggest one going to be :thumbs:

Whats the biggest one going to be :thumbs:

A privet hawk moths.Well, it will be next june. That caterpillar would wander around a little bit then bury himself before pupating and waiting around all winter before the warm weather tells him he better hurry up changing into the UK's biggest moth.... :victory:

how many different ones do you have? Do you do more moths or butterflies? And what is a good identification site online that I can look for things I see around here? We see all sorts and I never know what they are, the only caterpillar I can identify is a Monarch because where I come from its a well known protected species. Oh and those tomato horn worms, I know what they are!

how many different ones do you have? Do you do more moths or butterflies? And what is a good identification site online that I can look for things I see around here? We see all sorts and I never know what they are, the only caterpillar I can identify is a Monarch because where I come from its a well known protected species. Oh and those tomato horn worms, I know what they are!

Hi Tiff, i don't know what the best sites would be for identification of your native lepidoptera. Sorry. Just do a search, i guess. I have a number of different species of british moths here that i try to breed. It's quite fascinating really and there's surprises along the way.

Butterflies are much , much harder, a different league to be honest. If anyone ever wanted a challenge in stock breeding, butterflies would be the thing that would sort the men out from the boys. It's just so hard. I have just managed to get my first ever eggs from a butterfly, and thats after 4 summers of trying. I never expected instant results, but i didnt think it was this hard! :icon_eek:

Not only have you got to know your butterflies and moths but also the stimula's that "tell" it to lay eggs, to call for a mate and for the caterpillar to eat. And the food plant has to be just exact too. A caterpillar would rather die than eat the "wrong" plant. They are just eating machines!

Its fascinating how colours so beautiful can be created from eating something so "dull" as willow,or nettle or silver birch. And then, how on earth does that caterpillar change into the end result, with a million colourful scales. I have no idea. :victory:

JD

so you don't dabble in the exotics and foreign ones, just the ones from your area?

I didn't know that about butterflies being tricky ... fascinating, thanks for sharing!

I use these pop up cages for the smaller moths and my butterflies. :victory:

crackers,ideal for hanging meat too :thumbs:

how many do you have in total then? surely some are kept under cover for weather protection though?

only being nosey and interested.. :thumbs:

oh god knows.

I have eyed, lime, privet, elephant, small elephant and willowherb hawkmoth, as well as puss, emperor, goat moth. Then a couple of fritilaries.

Enough to keep me busy i guess. But they will be all pupating soon and i can turn my attentions to the barbel. So things seem to work out right for time... :victory:

oh god knows.

I have eyed, lime, privet, elephant, small elephant and willowherb hawkmoth, as well as puss, emperor, goat moth. Then a couple of fritilaries.

Enough to keep me busy i guess. But they will be all pupating soon and i can turn my attentions to the barbel. So things seem to work out right for time... :victory:

:thumbs: