Mites?

Hiya lads n lasses,

I dont normally post but i have had my two kits for a week now,there both 8 weeks old and they are both doing well but the jills fur seems to be thining and tonight ive noticed browny orange patches on her back also both of there ears seem a liitle dirty.I have been feeding pigeon and rabbit also using hay bedding and sawdust on the floor,does it sound like mites and are they easy to treat or is it a vet job.

p.s im a novice ferreter regards Seany ;)

there are mites that will feed off ferrets, "red mite" normally found on birds, can feed from ferrets, but will only breed on the host animal, also tics, fleas etc

you really need to identify if it is a mite of some sort, before spraying/dusting with treatments, as it could also be a skin condition, which treating for mites could make worst, Id say unless you have a friendly ferreter close by you could ask, then a trip to the vets wouldent go amiss

there are mites that will feed off ferrets, "red mite" normally found on birds, can feed from ferrets, but will only breed on the host animal, also tics, fleas etc

you really need to identify if it is a mite of some sort, before spraying/dusting with treatments, as it could also be a skin condition, which treating for mites could make worst, Id say unless you have a friendly ferreter close by you could ask, then a trip to the vets wouldent go amiss

Thanks for replying Stubby,i was going to go to the vets anyway its always best to get things checked out.maybe also change the bedding to paper and freeze any game before feeding.On another note is a weak bleach soloution ok to clean the hutch with as ive heard jeyes can be nastie for ferts.

regards seany :thumbs:

Hiya lads n lasses,

I dont normally post but i have had my two kits for a week now,there both 8 weeks old and they are both doing well but the jills fur seems to be thining and tonight ive noticed browny orange patches on her back also both of there ears seem a liitle dirty.I have been feeding pigeon and rabbit also using hay bedding and sawdust on the floor,does it sound like mites and are they easy to treat or is it a vet job.

p.s im a novice ferreter regards Seany ;)

What your describing i have seen in much older more mature ferrets especially entire hobs .. if the orange specks are on the skin & right on the hair follicle

in this case it simply turned out to be excess oils that the ferret produced that had basically solidified on to the skin

I cant say i have seen it in such young ferrets .. but if your taking them to the vets anyway anything else can be ruled out ..

Let us know how you get on .. :thumbs:

Thanks for replying Stubby,i was going to go to the vets anyway its always best to get things checked out.maybe also change the bedding to paper and freeze any game before feeding.On another note is a weak bleach soloution ok to clean the hutch with as ive heard jeyes can be nastie for ferts.

regards seany :thumbs:

You dont need to freeze your game mate, your just wasting time, space and energy...people on here let there dogs eat full rabbits(without gutting) never mind ferrets...

I had the same bother feeding pigeon to my ferrets i dosed them twice for flea's but i think these things are pigeon lice .there a bit longer and thinner than fleas and have a fair turn of speed in the ferrets hair .It took two applications to get rid of them and i freeze all my ferrets meat so christ knows where they came from

Thanks ever so much guys,Im probably being a little paranoid,other than this there doing great,there not actualy scratching or sore looking and the hob has quite a thick coat.Took them for a play in the feilds early this morning.Dog has took to them suprisingly well(but dont trust him fully yet!)

and they've had a good feed on a chicken carcass.Will let you know how they get on at vets tomorrow.

Cheers seany :D

I had the same bother feeding pigeon to my ferrets i dosed them twice for flea's but i think these things are pigeon lice .there a bit longer and thinner than fleas and have a fair turn of speed in the ferrets hair .It took two applications to get rid of them and i freeze all my ferrets meat so christ knows where they came from

Theres not actualy any visable mites or fleas the jills coat just seams thinner than the hobs with tiny orange flacky patches.

Hi all,The vet said just a simple case of mites probably from the stress of a new home and she gave me some Ivermectin drops to put on the back of the neck three times at one week apart and to treat both of them,good result!Bill came to £34 quid though :icon_redface:

thankyou for all your advise be in touch Seany :notworthy:

not condoning vets, but many years ago, I took a hob to the vets with a rash on his neck, paid around £40 for her advice and pot of cream, and the normal lecture on how I was cruel to use them for ferreting, of course, it was'ent a rash, but simply shag marks where his brother had been having his wicked way, I went back to the vets, not to try and get a refund, but just to tell her, and hope that the next time a ferret was bought in, she'd know the reason, she would'ent listen, told me hers was the correct reason,and mine was nonsance, needless to say, never used them again :wallbash:

I know what you mean mate,but she did mention about oil in the skin and approved of feeding game and said it wouldnt be mites from that,plus me old grandads been using them for 30 odd years with his horses and whippets.It was the meds that cost £22,at least I got a full bottle and learnt what to look for next time! :thumbs: Seany