collie X greyhounds 50/50

Guest koru

A thinking dog is quick to learn both good and bad, but at least with the collie you've got a dog that wants to learn, and is willing to do a certain amount of repetition.

Some of you are saying a half X is not really quick enough, and others are saying they are plenty quick enough, different land, different types???????

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if you undestand the the ways of a collie then you will have no problems with a first cross ... endless stamina bags of brains sagacity good feet weatherproof coat ...the list is endless ... as the gu

been on before on a previous thread. my two half crosses now long gone       thanks bobby.

not being funny pal but she isnt a genuine first cross collie greyhound,a genuine first cross is half collie half greyhound..regards collie john.

Hi socks, does the collie sire work? I had a collie that lamped ok and always tried. I ran him mainly on local brickyards and ironworks and never had trouble with his feet. Good luck with the pup :)

yep the sire works ............

I have had first cross collie greyhound's and found them to be good dog's one was slightly lacking in speed but she made up for it in other way's.I now own a first cross Kelpie Greyhound that in truth is a little to tall but has done everything that I have asked of him so far so I can't complain really.The argument of intelligence I think depends on what you want the dog for to start with and also what you expect as an owner from your dog, if you need a dog for trialling or obedience mainly then a colie cross or Kelpie cross will do the job for you as I don't think there is much between them ,the kelpie maybe just a little more bold than your average collie but to suggest a collie is more intelligent than a Kelpie would be very difficult to prove I.M.O. also there are other good base line breeds that can do just as good a job as the collie.The main difficulty is finding a GENUINE person breeding a litter for themselves not for money.I was lucky to find this with the Kelpie cross I have and socks with his pup,I own my own Kelpie now and could be breeding for myself in the future as I am impressed with the Kelpie cross.

<you>Please drop the Hancock stuff</you>, it's been done to death.

Moorman1, have you got or had a 50-50, coupled people I spoke with have said by the third season they are picking their runs, or stalking down the beam???

You had any first-hand experience Border Terrier, with the 50-50 or 3/8 5/8???

I don't have a 1stx but a mate of mine does and it is a very good dog.It catches a lot of its rabbits using its brains it does a lot of stalking down the beam,thus saving energy.Thats what collies x's do.In my experience any dog with any amount of collie in its makeup soon starts doing this.

I do however own a 3/8 5/8 and this I feel is the better x.You have more speed than the 1stx,more stamina than the 3/4,also keeping the iron hard feet etc.You really get the best of both worlds.

In my experience all collie x's with time start to decide if they can or can't catch that rabbit sat near the hedge.This is what collie x's are all about thats their style of working.It is not so thrilling to watch as the bedlington or bull x that will run its heart out at everything you point the lamp at.They are two totally different types/styles of running dog.But at the end of the night they both bring home the meat.I personally like both types of dog,and find them both enjoyable to watch.I admire the do or die style of the terrier x's,but I also enjoy seeing a dog that takes its quarry with its brain,thinking it all out.It really is horses for courses.

Edited by Moorman 1
had a couple of 50/50,after making all the mistakes with the first one i had no further problems,having more brains doesn't make them easier to train i found.

koru im breeding alitter of dogs this year collie blooded but are very obeident but abit more than just a rabbit dog but are very good all rounders, saw the grand mother father great grand mother work very good line of dogs ,hancock woudlnt get my money,if your serious about a decent dog i mayb have one left for a genuine guy ,trying to get something in the same class as her

had a couple of 50/50,after making all the mistakes with the first one i had no further problems,having more brains doesn't make them easier to train i found.

koru im breeding alitter of dogs this year collie blooded but are very obeident but abit more than just a rabbit dog but are very good all rounders, saw the grand mother father great grand mother work very good line of dogs ,hancock woudlnt get my money,if your serious about a decent dog i mayb have one left for a genuine guy ,trying to get something in the same class as her

i forgot to add shees still runs het heart out at seven if aloud shes got some top class grew blood greyhound blood in her

mike how good is the kelpie as a close freind of mines has bred plenty he rates them for what he does will they take fox rabbit roe hare ferret when it was legal etc hunt cover ,d slieght a close freing rates them ive not saw enough of them to think about putting them to lana etc my bitch ,their a dog the same way bred is lana but was not tested to the full even tho the breeding is write

The Dam to my pup is a 1st X she's a awsome looking dog and very obidient!! Shes just started her eigth season and according to the breeder shes never let him down shes had hares in her time before the ban of course so she must be quick enough!!

here's a pic of her

For me after seeing tomo's kelpi cross run i would go for the kelpi cross, im not into dogs that stalk squatters and every collie cross iv seen does this. In my opinion kelpi crosses do everything a colli cross does but better :D They have endless stamina, brains, feet, coat and thick wrists ;) For me they are the ideal rabbiting dog.

David

For me after seeing tomo's kelpi cross run i would go for the kelpi cross, im not into dogs that stalk squatters and every collie cross iv seen does this. In my opinion kelpi crosses do everything a colli cross does but better :D They have endless stamina, brains, feet, coat and thick wrists ;) For me they are the ideal rabbiting dog.

David

whta are they like on foxes hares etc or larger qaurry whitton as rabits are only one part of a lurchers artilllery etc before the ban