Moderators ,, A law query

Ey up.

I have been offered a Wildcat Predetor 8 moderator.(brand new in the box)

The guy does not have it on an FAC cause at the moment it does not have a calibre insert and therefore is basically an airgun moderator (his view and words not mine)

It is to be posted to me and I will then have to buy an insert for it and put it on my FAC(slot available).

My question is, is this legal, are wildcat moderators available without inserts "off ticket".

Thanks in advance for any help with this one. I am well aware of the law on moderators but not this Wildcat model.

Ey up

Cannae believe ma luck. Just bought a brand new wildcat predator 8 in the box,,for 50 quid on evilbay.

55 bucks for an insert plus fittin,,,,mucho bargain methinks

That's some good bargain hunting. You Scottish by any chance? ;)

Didn't realise you were allowed to sell stuff like that on eBay, they like to censor what you can and can't buy! Bastids!

Oh well

Spoke to two RFD`s and both assured me it is OK to buy full bore moderators mail order etc (as secondhand)

It only has to go on an FAC when it is actually fitted to the rifle.

who knew eh ! :thumbs:

Hmmm, I'm not so sure that that's right. A mod is a firearm in its own right and you cannot transfer firearms to cert holders unless it's done face-to-face. You may not get done for it but that isn't the same as saying it's legal.

J.

Hi blokes.

A mod is not a firearm until it is fitted to a rifle, then it must be on your FAC.

Have double checked this with different RFD`s.

You can have a rifle (threaded) and a mod to fit it does not have to be on your FAC until it is fitted.

You are not commiting an offence by having a mod off ticket , only when you fit it to a rifle.

total home office bollocks, but true all the same.

Even if you have no slot for a moderator, you can buy one and not commit an offence. You must have a slot and put it on FAC to actually fit it to you`r rifle though.

Still got a bargain though :thumbs:

On my .22 rimmy i have a parker hale silencer fitted but i am thinking of changing it for another .

( while we are on the subject of moderators ) Could anybody tell me the correct procedure i have to go through to do this ,

Many thanks ,

John :unsure:

Hi blokes.

A mod is not a firearm until it is fitted to a rifle, then it must be on your FAC.

You can have a rifle (threaded) and a mod to fit it does not have to be on your FAC until it is fitted.

You are not commiting an offence by having a mod off ticket , only when you fit it to a rifle.

Even if you have no slot for a moderator, you can buy one and not commit an offence. You must have a slot and put it on FAC to actually fit it to you`r rifle though.

i'm not so sure you've been given the right info mate, you had best speak to a FLO at fettes and get it confirmed. i know my local dealer would never sell me a mod without a slot on ticket, RFD's are no more qualified than you and me.....just better security and a license to make money ( at least my local is ) :whistling:

of course i could be talking shite :icon_redface: until someone tells me different.

atb

alan.

From advice i seek - some restcict land use only with rifle & moderator(silencer)

On firearm you must have variation for moderator, & when granted by police authority, you can use.No before !

It is ILLEGAL to use sound moderator, without have on firearm certificate.

You can buy sound moderator without having place on FAC , some persons use air rifle moderator, or no register mod, if safe & good for calibre , ok.

so, to use it must be register you have on FAC, but moderator no have to be register.

Hi blokes.

i'm not so sure you've been given the right info mate, you had best speak to a FLO at fettes and get it confirmed. i know my local dealer would never sell me a mod without a slot on ticket, RFD's are no more qualified than you and me.....just better security and a license to make money ( at least my local is ) :whistling:

of course i could be talking shite :icon_redface: until someone tells me different.

atb

alan.

That is how I have always understood it to be. Off on a bit of a tangent, but I know that amongst shooters it is best not to name the make of the mod on your FAC (just put N/K (not known)) that way if exchanging it in, you do not have to apply for a 1 for 1 - but make sure the guy filling out your FAC continues with the N/K procedure.

Peter

On my .22 rimmy i have a parker hale silencer fitted but i am thinking of changing it for another .

( while we are on the subject of moderators ) Could anybody tell me the correct procedure i have to go through to do this ,

Many thanks ,

John :unsure:

as long as u havent got a specific make of mod on your ticket u are ok, just get a SAK mod they can be brought without even seeing ticket as they can be used on air rifles plus they ar ealot better than parker hale

Yup

Spoke to Fettes and they were happy.

Explained that the guy I bought it from does not have it on a licence because he does not have one ( or any guns)

It will be put on my licence on the available slot when I fit it to my rifle. Until then it`s just like any air rifle moderator.

Still got a bargain :victory:

Hi blokes.

This isn't correct, it can't be. Section 57 of the act defines what a firearm is, it says;

57 Interpretation.

(1)In this Act, the expression “firearm†means a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged and includes—

(a)any prohibited weapon, whether it is such a lethal weapon as aforesaid or not; and

(b)any component part of such a lethal or prohibited weapon; and

©any accessory to any such weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon;

Section 1 creates the requirement to have an FAC, it says;

1 Requirement of firearm certificate.

(1)Subject to any exemption under this Act, it is an offence for a person—

(a)to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, a firearm to which this section applies without holding a firearm certificate in force at the time, or otherwise than as authorised by such a certificate;

Sec.57 says that a mod is a firearm and it is a type of firearm which is not excluded pursuant to Sec.1(1) above, therefore, you need an FAC to possess, purchase or acquire one.

J.

What of the case where a mod that is suitable for fitting to a section 1 firearm is held for use on a sub 12 ftlb air rifle?

It is made for fitting to a section 1, but as there is no intention to fit it, I would suggest that it falls outside the regulations.

As for mods in calibres which have no corresponding air rifle use, I would agree that a moderator is a firearm, as you couldn't claim it's for use on anything other than a rifle chambered for the calibre the mod is suited to. Of course if you do not own a rifle chambered in that calibre, then you can't put a mod on to a rifle, so again would it be an offence to hold one?

Why can't the law be simple? :wallbash: