Private land needed for rabbit shooting/control

Do you know of anyone who will allow me to shoot rabbits on their land in the Bristol/Gloucester/Avon area?

I'm assuming there are many farmers who are infested with them and need for them to be controlled.

I would like to volunteer my services, as I need the rabbits to feed my animals.

Thanks in advance.

Good luck!

Was that a genuine 'good luck', or are you insinuating that my chances are minimal?

definately that your chances are minimal...

when I started out, I thought it would be easy. But trust me, it's not...

I've sent out over 100 letters in the last 3 years, with two replies. One said yes, the other said :censored:.

So in fact, you do need some good luck!

Good luck :clapper:

definately that your chances are minimal...

when I started out, I thought it would be easy. But trust me, it's not...

I've sent out over 100 letters in the last 3 years, with two replies. One said yes, the other said :censored:.

So in fact, you do need some good luck!

Good luck :clapper:

That's very disappointing.

So how do the guys on here manage to shoot then?

Your not going to find any on here, it is a site full of people who hunt and do pest control for money/enjoyment. If they know a landowner with lots of land and rabbits to get rid of then THEY probably do the rabbit control.

Best bet is thinking of any links you might already have and working on those and if not then getting out there and knocking on doors, sending letters etc

Also you could try getting involved in something countrysidey - i.e - beating, farm work etc etc etc

Goodluck!

Jai.

best just join a syndicate for your sport, as said, by the time you put petrol in run around & banged your head, its all done for you. I took the headache out & joined here.

http://www.theguncabinet.co.uk/Shoot-syndicate-p-807.htm

too far for you i think. paul

Thanks for that.

Although, I have a shotgun, I don't want to feed rabbits to my animals that are full of shot.

I need a rifle, which I have to have a written letter of permission to obtain.

That group want you to have a FAC 'prior' to shooting with them.

I feel as though I'm chasing my tail a little.

Edited by ljkenny

I think your either very niave or hoping their is a god, joined today, and asking for not only rabbiting permission, but FAC permission at that

most people secure their permission from hard work, door knocking, phone calls etc etc

doing jobs for farmers/landowners not associated with shooting, in the hope that their gesture will get that offer to shoot,

not many people out there that will trust a total newbie with their permission...

so you have a few choices, start contributing to the site, leave your own topics, add posts to others, fill out your profile with as much info as you can, and in time, you may well get an invitation out, be it ferreting, pigeons or rabbits

or, get off the keyboard, sort out some local landowners/farmers addressess, dress smart and go knocking

or theirs a 3rd option, sit at the computer, moan that you have no permission, and quote that "its not you fault"

join a target club, your then have a reason to hold a FAC, then you can join this club cant ya

thers your answer, or did you want it TODAY :doh:

best just join a syndicate for your sport, as said, by the time you put petrol in run around & banged your head, its all done for you. I took the headache out & joined here.

http://www.theguncabinet.co.uk/Shoot-syndicate-p-807.htm

too far for you i think. paul

Thanks for that.

Although, I have a shotgun, I don't want to feed rabbits to my animals that are full of shot.

I need a rifle, which I have to have a written letter of permission to obtain.

join what club you like, ask for letter, which you get from boss, with member detail, get rifle application etc 'simples' :thumbs: you have reason for rifle & shoots.

Edited by clint
  • 2 weeks later...

I think your either very niave or hoping their is a god, joined today, and asking for not only rabbiting permission, but FAC permission at that

most people secure their permission from hard work, door knocking, phone calls etc etc

doing jobs for farmers/landowners not associated with shooting, in the hope that their gesture will get that offer to shoot,

not many people out there that will trust a total newbie with their permission...

so you have a few choices, start contributing to the site, leave your own topics, add posts to others, fill out your profile with as much info as you can, and in time, you may well get an invitation out, be it ferreting, pigeons or rabbits

or, get off the keyboard, sort out some local landowners/farmers addressess, dress smart and go knocking

or theirs a 3rd option, sit at the computer, moan that you have no permission, and quote that "its not you fault"

I'm sure you meant well, but you come across as nothing more than patronising and rude.

I realise some users are just 'like that', but I'd expect a little more from a moderator.

Firstly, you have no idea who I am or anything about me. You don't know who I've asked already, who's doors I've been knocking on, or who I've dressed up smart for. You'd do well not to assume in the future.

Secondly, I'm not some flyby wannabe, tyre kicker or 'newbie', I've shot for the Army and at a national level for many years. I am also a holder of a shotgun certificate who regularly attends shooting grounds and events in my area. I am an honest, law abiding, upstanding member of the gun owning community who mearly enjoys the sport. My needs for rabbiting are legitimate and reasonable; in that the rabbits I need to feed my vast collection of large Pythons is getting expensive (rabbits shot with a shotgun are no good due to the large quantity of remainent shot, hence the requirement for an FAC). I thought this, coupled with the fact that I enjoy shooting and that I might be able to help a farmer out with their rabbit infestation would be good enough reasons to enquire.

As a side note, I have already been invited out ferretting several times, but it's not something I enjoy enough to go regularly.

If this is the wrong place to ask for help then so be it, that's all you needed to say.

Thanks for taking the time to reply in any case.

I'm sure you meant well, but you come across as nothing more than patronising and rude.

I realise some users are just 'like that', but I'd expect a little more from a moderator.

Firstly, you have no idea who I am or anything about me. You don't know who I've asked already, who's doors I've been knocking on, or who I've dressed up smart for. You'd do well not to assume in the future.

Secondly, I'm not some flyby wannabe, tyre kicker or 'newbie', I've shot for the Army and at a national level for many years. I am also a holder of a shotgun certificate who regularly attends shooting grounds and events in my area. I am an honest, law abiding, upstanding member of the gun owning community who mearly enjoys the sport. My needs for rabbiting are legitimate and reasonable; in that the rabbits I need to feed my vast collection of large Pythons is getting expensive (rabbits shot with a shotgun are no good due to the large quantity of remainent shot, hence the requirement for an FAC). I thought this, coupled with the fact that I enjoy shooting and that I might be able to help a farmer out with their rabbit infestation would be good enough reasons to enquire.

As a side note, I have already been invited out ferretting several times, but it's not something I enjoy enough to go regularly.

If this is the wrong place to ask for help then so be it, that's all you needed to say.

Thanks for taking the time to reply in any case.

If all that is true then why do you need to come on a forum hoping to land some permission? Surely you have the contacts through years of shooting, knowing folk who ferret etc etc etc to find some suitable land. And no stubby didnt know any of this - and you didnt tell him. . . . you just asked for land and as i said - thei is a forum full of hunters who are also looking for land - it is not a forum full of farmers seeking people to hunt.

If all that is true then why do you need to come on a forum hoping to land some permission? Surely you have the contacts through years of shooting, knowing folk who ferret etc etc etc to find some suitable land.

It is absolutely true, I have no reason to tell tails.

I don't know any large land owners who don't do their own pest control. Besides, many of my associates who I could ask for help in finding suitable land reside in Essex, whereas I have moved to Bristol. The only people I know who shoot here do so with shotguns and only clay pidgin at that.

And no stubby didnt know any of this - and you didnt tell him. . . .

True enough. My main issue with Stubby was his assumptions and the way in which he spoke to me.

I'm not overly upset about it and I never hold a grudge, but arrogance really gets my goat.

you just asked for land and as i said - thei is a forum full of hunters who are also looking for land - it is not a forum full of farmers seeking people to hunt.

Which is fine. I had no issue with you, and considered myself educated when you said it.

Prove yourself sensible on the forum and ask in the share a hunt section, see if theres any other members around your area willing to take you out.....Then you never know, you could end up helping all the time or getting some farms through them for yourself...