.223 Subsonic

Hi folks,

I tried searching this topic but havnt come up with any thing. Any ways I have a Ruger .223 (with silencer) and its quite loud, is it possible to buy subsonic ammo for a .223 and where might I get it??? Thanks in advance.

Mark

I'm not sure if you can get reduced/subsonic factory rounds (I suspect not) but it is possible to handload, although I personally wouldn't bother. CF rifles are loud, it's the nature of the beast. If your .223 is unbearable you might want to look at your moderator as you shouls be able to shoot comfortably with a mod fitted. A quick Google on the subject brought up some results, you might want to start there. :victory:

Hi folks,

I tried searching this topic but havnt come up with any thing. Any ways I have a Ruger .223 (with silencer) and its quite loud, is it possible to buy subsonic ammo for a .223 and where might I get it??? Thanks in advance.

Mark

You could handload but the fact of the matter is that a .223 bullet isn't very heavy so you're going to get ballistics not much better (if any) than a .22LR. That being the case, you may as well use a .22 LR.

A .223 with a good mod should be fairly quiet. It isn't going to be as quiet as a subsonic .22LR but you should easily be able to shoot it without hearing protection.

J.

I always reckon the .22cf rounds are for one purpose only, long range flat varminting rounds. Running one as a subsonic would completely negate this ability, and so you might as well buy a .22LR, which is much cheaper in all respects!

You could try different mods on it, see if you can lower the noise, but they are a supersonic round so you are always going to get that sonic crack, no matter how much you moderate it.

If you want really quiet shooting buy a .22LR, and keep the .223 for long range stuff where the noise isn't a problem!

i use a .223 with a T8 mod, depending on the surroundings you are shooting there are some shots that are very quiet and others that can be very loud. I have fired from a stationary vechile out of very open bog land and to be honest you wouldnt have heard the shot. Other areas especially along a tree line or fence line and you would have swore it was a .50 cal going off. I tend to view the .223 as a one or a two shot rifle, i personally dont hunt rabbits at night with it where you could quite easily be firing 3-4 shots in a reasonably short space of time. With foxes you fire a shot and then it could be another couple of hours before firing another shot so the noise isnt a major concern.

As mentioned before i believe the benefits of the round would be lost by making the round subsonic.

What moderator have you fitted ?.

regards

keith

some reduced velocity loads are listed in some loading manuals for junior loads etc but most run over 1100 fps so are still supersonic , as posted before some mods are better than others and the weather conditions and background and fore ground can give perception that shot is noisey but you are mostly hearing reflected sound . go out and fire some rounds and note the sound you observe and you will get use to being able to perdict weather you will get a lot of noise or just a crack and when you get use to it you can shoot as if you are using sub sonic ammo and all you will hear is a crack.

if anything it would be dangerous to try make subsonic rounds.

How?

You need a certain amount of powder to seal the case properly against the chamber on firing. I would imagine that any load big enough to propel a round at appreciable velocity would do so, but there's always a risk that it might not.

Failure to seal the case properly can cause all sorts of problems, from fowling of the bolt and eventual bolt failure, through to burning of the chamber and, if it goes on long enough, chamber failure.

Also the rifling twist rate would not be particularly conducive to accuracy. A fast round uses a faster twist rate than a lower velocity round. Not dangerous but not good for performance!

Yes Dan. Those are specifically for law enforcement and military use, on moderated weapons in urban combat situations. For hunting they're marginal at best. A heavy bullet going slowly to keep the ME up, but the bullet drop would be horrible!

if anything it would be dangerous to try make subsonic rounds.

How?

well putting to much powder can as you no go over a max load and become dangerous. yet if you look in the reloading books not going to a minium load can be just as dangrous.

you have to watch out for the round tumbleing as it exits the barrel so if you have a mod on you will do damage to the mod as some one else said use your .22lr for the short stuff and the .223 for what its main roll is long range vermin.

paul