The Lurcher

what do you favour in a lurcher : breed,size ect. for the terriain/land you work.

i my self, dont have a favrite breed as such, i like a good bold typed lurcher, somthing with make up containing collie, saluki, deerhound and maybe a dash of bull or bedlington. sized between 23 - 26 inches. i look forward to your replys, alf.

thanks for the replys,poacher i dont like bull saturated lurchers my self, but its proven handy to have a dash in the make up for my benafit, even as little as an 8th or even a 16th is enough for me. thanks,alf

I understand wat your saying alf but i have found the beddy in the breeding just enough for me.I kept a strain of lurcher to lurcher bred lurchers from the late 70s upuntil 2000 they were a mix collie/greyxgrey/beddy back to saluki/grey they were decent pot fillers just mad with myself now i let them die out.atb dell

now that takes my fancy dell - id put my bottom dollar on them making good pot filling lurchers, bred that way. shame about your strain dying. have you ever considered starting from scratch once over? thanks,alf

I am 50 next year and seeing how the lurcher world has changed starting from scratch imho would be a non starter for anybody the amount of good coursing types out their put to good lamping types is the easeyist route to produce good allrounders then its only my opinion.atvb dell

very fair point dell, how did your lurchers fair working by day light, ratching/mooching through woods and so on or were they perpously lamping bred. i dont think your will go far wrong with the nose of a good bedlington type lurcher.

The early ones the beddy/grey x grey/collies were good in the daytime hunting up and catching game but could switch on to the lamp [bANNED TEXT] used the odd fault i had was some time,s a dog out of the breeding called flint i had would dissapear in woodland self hunting but would return alot of the times with an hare or a rabbit.atb dell

thanks for the reply dell. i like a dog with the abillity to hunt,catch and kill day time. but now, the majority of the lurcher work i do is by lamp. thanks,alf

Same as alf and its one of the reasons i have always favoured lurcher to lurcher bred types.thumbs.gif atb dell

i agree again dell, i dont think youd trump a well bred lurcher x lurcher type. i currently own 3 ; 2 of whitch i bred.thanks,alf

yep , colliexgrey x salukixgrey good alrounder, 25in 60lb would be spot on for any quarryday+night for the pot. :thumbs: If red coats bullx line bred :thumbs: but as daytime lurcher 1x colliexgrey take some beating.!

Guest fence_hopper

first x beddy grey 23+ takes some beating as an all rounder imo. handy dog for the pheasents and red coats to rats plus a few other thibngs not to mention

my lad at 7yrs old

myboy1.jpg

bit last season out with the whippet at 10yrs

burnsalfskyme111-Copy.jpg

Edited by fence_hopper