Shooting over ferrets

Hi guys, just looking for advice from experience really, or if anyones got any stories to tell on the subject, lets have them as well!

I've recently gained some permission from a friend of a friend; he's the owner of a fishing tackle shop, and also has a stocked carp lake. This lake is riddled with rabbit holes, but they arent accessible with purse nets. It's an ideal longnetting site really, but as you'll know if you've read any of my other posts, thats something I don't have in my kit bag at the moment.

So my mate, who is a keen Shot, has said "don't worry about it, I'll get a couple of guns along, and we'll shoot the bolters."

I'm quite looking forward to having a go, it should be fun. I'm just going to work the ferrets, and there'll be 2 or 3 guns as well.

So has anyone much experience with this? Any pointers?

Help would be appreciated!

Ron.

shooting bolting rabbits is good fun but as Millet says don't shoot the rabbits until they have cleared the holes because sometimes the rabbit will sit at the entrance having a look see, i always use a 3 shot semi auto with not too much choke because sometimes the action can be fast and furious :thumbs-up: best of luck anyway you might even bolt a few rats being next to a lake.

Before letting the little critters at em' have a quick look about to make sure there arn't any drainage covers or overflow channels near the bury as some lakes, especially man made ones, have them (saves a bit of head scratching on where the hell the ferret has got to!) :hmm: Also make sure the bunny is clear of the hole before having a shot as i've seen a ferret caught in the pattern as he chased him out :cry: ... and that really will ruin the day... or strain a friendship if he's not yours.

Go get em!

Guest craftycarper

It's great fun, i've done some although i was on my own so safety was not as much of a problem. Just make the rules clear to the guns before flushing and shooting commences like the shooting direction/hole each person will be marking. I've seen it all go out the window before once the adrenelin kicks in especially if someone is not getting their fair quota of bolters on the hole/direction they're marking. Good luck and enjoy and make sure the ferrets don't chew lead, if youre out in the open you can always dish out fluro waistcoats if needed as well...

. Good luck and enjoy and make sure the ferrets don't chew lead, if youre out in the open you can always dish out fluro waistcoats if needed as well...

where can you get flourescent coats for ferrets? :11:

i occasionally shoot over my ferrets, i have a few friends and relatives that shoot and they like to have a pop at bolting bunnies...i always use albino/white ferrets to aid in identification :) although i also state only shoot running rabbits...by the time they are running and you have raised and aimed they are well clear of the holes.....my last rule is shoot one of my team of ferrets and I SHOOT YOU no one has shot or even swung through on one of my ferts :11:

i use my 3 shot semi, with either modified or improved cylinder choke, i am using modified choke most the time as that is the choke i leave in and use for foxes and pigeons as well, and i usually leave the house forgetting to change it :D

it is good fun but be careful and remember they are your ferrets so the guns have to follow your rules :signthankspin:

WELL MATE ,

I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOURSELF ............. BUT IT WOULDNT BE ME ........

NOPE....... NOT IN A MILLION YEARS :no:

IVE FERRETED FOR GUNS QUITE A FEW TIMES YRS AGO ................

NEVER AGAIN :no:

IAM AFRAID IN MY BOOK...... GUNS...... AND FERRETING JUST DONT MIX

DUCKWING

Over the years i have done a lot of shooting over the ferrets and the others advice is spot on, but, ask yourself, have you seen these guys shoot :hmm: today though it is a neccesaty rather than choice, my choice is of course net and dog combination :D

I will only have people i know and have seen shoot before they even get a invite, but it gets emotional :icon_eek: once the fur starts to run about.

white or light coloured ferrets are a must as when the shooters get excited :censored: so does their sense.

we tend to shoot on sight apart from directly in front of the holes, either the ferret may get hit but the power of the shot knocks the rabbit back down and the last thing you want is a dead rabbit under the ground with the ferrets.

A lot of people allow for the rabbit to run and each to their own but for me, sitting, shagging or running, it is their to be got at and their is no way i am giving any rabbit 20 yards start :clapper:

But the final decision is yours, but as i said, have you seen these guys shoot?????

Edited by simonw
Guest thelamperman

[

i would only take one safe gun with me mate

and that would be myself

i agree with duckwing on this subject guns and ferreting dont mix

but somtimes it has to be done

hope you ejoiy it mate

mate tell them before you go out what is expected of them from sensible shooting to helping you

to dig if the need arises to much guns think digging for a ferret is beneath them

if thats their thought tell them to f**k off there and then

you make the rules if they brake them pack up for the day and dont invite them

back.your ferrets welfare is more important than a happy gun!

stay incharge all the time and all should be well

good luck

I did a bit of ferreting to my mates gun on his permission last weekend. Even though it was his permission he knew the score that under no circumstances was he to take a shot at a rabbit before it was clear of the warren and running. This meant we only got 2 rabbits out of about half a dozen bolters because the nearest cover was very nearby to most of the warrens we did! But I would rather not catch anything than risk a dead ferret ;)