What can Hwks do Falcons can't?

As per title really. Why do some choose falcons while others decide to take on hawks. Different hunting methods or styles? Different quarry?

Cheers.

mainly i like flying longwings cause i like the style of the flights and the quarry i fly.but i would think a lot of the chose would be down to the quarry and land which you are goin to hunt for which bird you would use.. but im sure you would get some other opinons on the subject..

As per title really. Why do some choose falcons while others decide to take on hawks. Different hunting methods or styles? Different quarry?

Cheers.

mainly i like flying longwings cause i like the style of the flights and the quarry i fly.but i would think a lot of the chose would be down to the quarry and land which you are goin to hunt for which bird you would use.. but im sure you would get some other opinons on the subject..

I'm leaning more towards hawks as they can be flow of the fist directy at game. I understand you can do the same with falcons but they are a slower and wouldln't be able to catch pheasants or ducks, not of the fist anyway.

Cheers.

I'm leaning more towards hawks as they can be flow of the fist directy at game. I understand you can do the same with falcons but they are a slower and wouldln't be able to catch pheasants or ducks, not of the fist anyway.

have a look at this

Edited by rickardo

Cheers.

have a look at this

Class! I take it we don't train them like that over here?

What you will find you need a lot of land and telemtry to fly a falcon. But hawks can be flown in sort of any enviroment, obviously you should still use telemtry but a falcon will go further than a hawk. I looked at getting a peregrine from a well known breeder and he advised me against it because of the land so I stuck with the harris. Trust me mate, I`d stick with a harris or a red tail, gosses and so-on is for the boys who have been at it years. Falconry is a really hard sport and harris hawks make it fun.

Are harris hawks good at taking game birds?

Goss hawks are betterthumbs.gif

It's the speed isn't it? I'm wanting to take game birds off the fist. Not too worried about rabbits and ground game, just pheasant, partridge and mallard. A gos or a falcon seems my best bet though, just need to find a mentor now.

It's the speed isn't it? I'm wanting to take game birds off the fist. Not too worried about rabbits and ground game, just pheasant, partridge and mallard. A gos or a falcon seems my best bet though, just need to find a mentor now.

never flew my harries of the fist always followed on, and had great sport with both male a female and both will take pheasent..

Edited by rickardo

I myself too wanted a gos when I first took up falconry, but trust me to start with anything more demanding than a harris is like diving into shit with dumbells strapped to your arse. I looked after a gos for a week and it was like having a baby, there is much more to falconry than meets the eye. I understand you do a lot of other stuff too, It`s just it`s no life for a gos to be caged and not flown enough. They need to fly everyday and I have been advised that when turned on you really need to have kills every other day. It seems that because the harris is a good easy going bird nobody wants them, but its a shame because they will out-do any falconer, its just the karma that comes with gosses and peregrines. I dont mean to offend anyone but at the end of the day we want the best for our sport.

never flew my harries of the fist always followed on, and had great sport with both male a female and both will take pheasent..sorry if you seen these before..

0172.jpg

3jan2010007.jpg

13oct005.jpg

22nov002.jpg

019.jpg

Nice looking bird mate. Some people say HH's are ugly, I think they're nice looking. A bit like a Goldie.

never flew my harries of the fist always followed on, and had great sport with both male a female and both will take pheasent..sorry if you seen these before..

0172.jpg

3jan2010007.jpg

13oct005.jpg

22nov002.jpg

019.jpg

Nice looking bird mate. Some people say HH's are ugly, I think they're nice looking. A bit like a Goldie.

Mallard off the fist.