http://www.djt-club.de/

Click on Der DJT to see some working pics.

They are basically a type of Lakie (Ynysfor) with a bit of Welsh in there from way back (1920/30's). There was an intersting article on them in EDRD about a year ago, translated from German, all about their origins. I've seen them worked over in Poland at the trials. They are very popular in central Europe (Czech Rep. Germany, Slovakia and Poland) along with the Dachsund (Teckel or Jamnik).

in my opinion the strongest jagd today are based in the balkan area , mostly serbia and croatia .

they haven't stupid anti-laws or some rspca over there........

:gunsmilie:

:toast:

you can see a very good jagdterrier bitch in my topic "yesterday pics",and a very good looking one too,small and well built for earth work.All the dog I've now are from croatian lines and one from hungarian/serbian lines.

And Lambro you are wrong saing balkan linese are better than german lines,they are only cheaper and easier for us italians to get,all the best dogs in the balkans have studs from germany or austria: Khan von de zeiler klinge,otto vom herrenwald,nick von ringaau just to name a few.All the best dogs you can find in croatia now have a german dog in their pedigrees,I cant remember the name of the dog now,he was bought in germany by Mr. Prahin just after the end of the balkans war and that dog did a 74 stud services all over croatia.

Edited by valerio
  • 4 months later...

the jagd was bred by people splitting from the fox terrier clubs in germany(he is 80% foxl) with a few bits and bobs added.

there is alot of value laid on "voice" and "gameness" along with nose(sense was not taken into the breeding scheme :whistling: ). they were bred purely for work in germany(meaning their type of work)as an allround terrier and still is trialled on all areas of work (earth,stoebern/hunting up,trailing/schweiss,retrieve, and anything else you can think of not restricted by size).

i have worked them above and below ground and never had any complaints(dog agressiveness is a trait that should be considered a character weakness!!!).

they are an excellant breed(as are the teckel,lakeland,patterdale,russel and foxl) that is sadly being bred "out of club" and sold cheap in germany(the downfall of most types is becoming popular imho).

beware the cheap dogs and get one from a reputable breeder with a good name(and goal) for the work you want it for(don't get a 18inch boar dog if you want an all rounder including earth work).

there are other types coming from the jagdl,the heideterrier is bred for work on moors where he SHOULD not bother with fox to ground and has been bred bigger and with an enormous chest :thumbs: .

the westfalenterrier is bred by the mr beckman in rheine(a well known breeder and worker of jagd) as a pure strain of sandy dogs with a black mask which are reputed to be from the best jagd breeding and are only sold to men/women who hold a german hunting qualification!! a good man to talk to if you are after a dog from germany( i know some breeders,the details of which i will pass on to SERIOUS enquirers).

as with all dogs they will become what you let them. great workers or a pain in the posterium.

they are not the "be all and end all" they have a good prey drive as do many other breeds FROM THE RIGHT STOCK.

waidmann

Good post Waidmann.

I'm lead to believe there is no point in importing a multi purpose terrier like the Jagd when the vast majority of terrier men in this country only want a terrier for digging. If it's a digging dog someone is after then they'll not really be getting anything better than a well bred native terrier for the work we use them for.

That's what I've been lead to believe anyhow.

I'm lead to believe there is no point in importing a multi purpose terrier like the Jagd when the vast majority of terrier men in this country only want a terrier for digging. If it's a digging dog someone is after then they'll not really be getting anything better than a well bred native terrier for the work we use them for.

That's what I've been lead to believe anyhow.

i agree whit you on the digging part but the jagd blood can be very intresting for some people

if everyone followed that mentality then we wouldn't have Patterdales in Australia haha, because we already had border terriers and jrt and fox terriers.. so what was the point of bring patterdales when we alreayd had dogs that can dothe job haha

Thank God people like to try new things haha cos i love patts AND Jagds.

Well that's up to you pal, if you've got money to spunk on importing a dog because its a Jagd, then all the best to ya. What you gonna do if the terrier don't work out? Squander a load more dough on finding another one?

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

i agree whit you on the digging part but the jagd blood can be very intresting for some people

Yeah that's fine, but I just personally don't see the point in importing Jagd's for DIGGING when there's already terriers that have been perfectly developed over many years to do the job.

Still, if someone has got the money and really wants one then it's up to them. Personally I don't see the point.

JMO.

Yeah that's fine, but I just personally don't see the point in importing Jagd's for DIGGING when there's already terriers that have been perfectly developed over many years to do the job.

Still, if someone has got the money and really wants one then it's up to them. Personally I don't see the point.

JMO.

i bet many german jagd owners also don't see the point :thumbs:

JMO.

i bet many german jagd owners also don't see the point :thumbs:

Maybe, What terriers do you keep Erik?