I got an alotment at the begining of march last and have a few things growing Im hooked on growing my own veg now Ill put up some pics later can anyone tell me a way of geting rid of slugs with out useing slug belletts the lad on the next alotment beside me has a small pond on his that he has put frogs in he hopeing they will eat the slugs also I have radishes growing that are growing well but are comeing out of the ground quit a bit do I need to cover them with soil or just leve them thanks

I use the ash off my fire placing it all around whatever needs protecting from slugs,you can use soot from a chimney also,they don't like to cross dry absorbant stuff,atb,wirralman

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate. Its looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment but it will be looking good in a few weeks.

Posted Images

I love doing the veg garden, but my back garden was a hell of a slope. so I made some terraces.

First one I made out of stone.

2007_0528bag0011.jpg

The next two I made from wood.

2007_0528bag0003.jpg

This is how I made the last bed out of wood again.

Marking it out

2007_0528bag0002.jpg

Taking shape.

2007_0601bag0003.jpg

the finished job with 4 ton of topsoil in.

2007_0620garden0001.jpg

A lot of work but worth it in the end.

TC

Guest arch1

Excellent thread this. Will post some of my Allotment photos later, iv'e had it for 5 years now. Got some before and after ones too.

Nice terracing Tiercel, especialy the stone one :yes:

Edited by Ossie'n'Arch

last year was my 1st go at veg growing and catterpillas desimated my sprouts , how do i stop this without covering in nets ? do they make a spray i can use ?

don't put your rhubarb leafs on the compost bin tie them all together with something heavy [brick] will do place in big barrel and fill with water and keep adding your rhubarb leafs to the water staring every now and again this mixture is great for all your cabbages keeping the cabbage white from your crop..thumbs.gif ..john

Not been on here for a bit good to see the thread still going some craking gardens folks.

Good old tip the rhubarb leaves i tried it a couple of years back but couldnt get on with them veg stinking to high heaven put me right off but it did seem to work except when it washed off with the rain. Myself i would sooner net them for protection from the butterflies and the pigeons nothing special as long as there covered.

The old boys on our lotty also put a square of rhubarb under their brassica roots to help with clubroot im on the fence with that as the ones i did were slower to grow than the ones i didnt do .atb

Still working on ours here. the land has been hardwork due to the amount of stones! you can take out a couple of Barrows of large stones from digging every 6ft....

so far we have a planted Goosberries, Rasberries, Black and Red Currant bushes, Lettuces, Potatoes, Runner Beans, Carrots and swiss chard and a few other bits and peices. we still have lots to do clearing nettles, Brambles and the other crap around the pit bordering the garden but I'm sure in time we'll get its it sorted, also have to put up the wifes Polly tunnel she had up at the old place thumbs.gif .....

I'll get some better pic's up pretty soon...

post-251-12757391839_thumb.jpg

post-251-127573919632_thumb.jpg

post-251-127573922131_thumb.jpg

post-251-127573923378_thumb.jpg

post-251-127573924667_thumb.jpg

post-251-127573925964_thumb.jpg

Just a couple more pictures showing the other side that needs clearing. also getting loads of trouble with Moles just tunneling under the surface wrecking the plants, I can't find any mole hills just tunnels right underneath where we have just planted.

I have tried a old scissor trap and a few tunnels traps but the soil crumbles and caves in as soon as you disturb it, has anyone got any advice how to get rid of them? I have a old smoker here I used fo rattling made from a old strimmer engine! will this do the job?

cheers Jasper

post-251-127573963479_thumb.jpg

post-251-127573964725_thumb.jpg

Just a couple more pictures showing the other side that needs clearing. also getting loads of trouble with Moles just tunneling under the surface wrecking the plants, I can't find any mole hills just tunnels right underneath where we have just planted.

I have tried a old scissor trap and a few tunnels traps but the soil crumbles and caves in as soon as you disturb it, has anyone got any advice how to get rid of them? I have a old smoker here I used fo rattling made from a old strimmer engine! will this do the job?

cheers Jasper

Id have a go at smoking them but if there only suface tunneling it might not be that effective poisons are better but i hate using them on land im growing on Saw some solar powered mole repellers dont know if theyd be any good they were in B and Q

Looks a good bit of land thumbs.gif you certainly wont go hungry when its planted and dont you just love the challenge its suprising how quick it will come together thumbs.gif

Heres mine as of friday done from a wilderness three years ago atb.

IMAG0007-1.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

Id have a go at smoking them but if there only suface tunneling it might not be that effective poisons are better but i hate using them on land im growing on Saw some solar powered mole repellers dont know if theyd be any good they were in B and Q

Looks a good bit of land thumbs.gif you certainly wont go hungry when its planted and dont you just love the challenge its suprising how quick it will come together thumbs.gif

Heres mine as of friday done from a wilderness three years ago atb.

IMAG0007-1.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

what a set up you have there Blacktabsclapper.gif, you certainly know your onions mate thumbs.gif......

when the wife first started she thought her main pest was going to be the Rabbits and Pigeons, its now turned out to be the Moles!! I tried Gasing them yesterday with the old strimmer motor and pipe so hopefully this has helped a little if not I'll take your advice thumbs.gif ....

Its pretty disheartening when you go down there and see the Moles has pushed fresh shoots up through the top of the soil. there's plenty more digging here to get one with and no doubt tons of large stones that will need moving......

Jasper

• 2 weeks later...
Guest arch1

Just had the first boiling of this years new potatoes (Rocket). Dug 3 plants up, just enough for the Missus and me. Lovely.

She had more than i did........ :censored: