Ferreting in the republic of ireland

hey guys

recently i was away for the weekend to Donegal. so decided to take the ferrets with us, had just netted up a warren at the side of a football pitch and entered the ferrets , when we saw the garda officers coming towards us.

we explained what we were doing and how we were dispatching the rabbits!

i didnt know ferreting in the south is illegal if you use nets ????????any ideas about it lads?

thanks

:blink: Sounds like a load of crap to me :blink:

The garda told you this did he? :icon_eek:

Well his completely rong, their is no law to say you cant use nets when ferreting.

The only thing he can do is give you a warning for tresspassing, did you have permission? As if you had permission, their is nothing he can do. :no:

Frank.

the garda officer didnt have a clue, he thought it was illegal under the countryside act to trap animal using nets. ( i think he was confused about nets and snars) "it takes the sporting chance out of it lads" he said

had permission, but decided to pack up and leave with only one rabbit in the bag

Guest billy boy

Hello Irish Lurcher,

I have alot of friends in the South who do alot of Ferreting and i've never heard anything like this. Don't worry the guys in uniform cannot do a thing. Providing you have permission to be on the land you are ok. I think Frank mentioned about these ANTI TYPE POLICE. They do exsist, that is for sure. That's when they over step the mark.

Billy boy.......

Right, i have done some research and rang my local wildlife ranger and to confirm, to all ferreters in the Republic Of Ireland, that their is no restrictions what so ever to ferret with nets, here, in the R.O.I. :no:

If you have permission, its totally OK.

Just wanted to confirm that folks. ;)

Frank.

the garda officer "it takes the sporting chance out of it lads" he said

he might not have been an anti.....he might have enjoyed running rabbits with a dog or taking potshots with a shotgun :11:

my little brother lived in donegal for a while and he ferreted, coursed,hunted hounds,lamped and shot....he became friends with a few garda :11: whilst he was there.....he lives back in god's country Yorkshire now :rofl:

Irishlurcher no worries in that department,we were approached on the side of a hill last year while ferreting by 2 cops,they had to walk up to us to tell us to stop,1 of them tried to call us down but as we had permission from the landowner and we were going back for our dinner to him I told my mate to leave them come to us.When they reached us they were both breathless as it was a severly steep hillside.Well they started with what are you doing to ,get down from here you have no right to be here,I informed him we had permission and he demanded for us to bring him to the farmer,well I walked him up over the hill and down through a nice spread of brambles,1 of the cops slipped and fell on his arse as he was wearing black leather shoes,God I wish I could have laughed,when we got to the farmers house I called him out and told him the cops were threathning to throw us off of his farm,well Sean(the farmer)went mental,he informed them we were providing a service to him of pest control,he told them to f..k off and get off his land and never darken his door again.They apologised and turned to walk back the way we came,Sean told them to walk down the path and they'd come out right by the police car,well the cop knew I walked him out over the hill just to make it longer for them,the look I got was enough,we had a great laugh at the dinner later on,This is a long winded way to say netting rabbits on this island is quiet legal and once permission is recieved you have no worries,I think that was the most enjoyable days ferreting I had for a long while.