Gsp`s

Hi all, pretty new to the gundog front just after some advice. I have put my name down for a gsp, I plan on just doing some trialing stuff, a bit of pointing and retrieving dummys. I dont own a shotgun so I am limited to what I can do. My work colleague has a springer spaniel that is trained mint, he works and flushes hedges and that is all he does he only shoots once a year, He was saying if you can get the dog trained well you can net the quarry, is this true? Just a bit stuck as applying for a shotgun looks a bit of a nightmare.

hi mate apply for shotgun cert as police can only stop you if they have a good reason ie you are a convicted bank robber even moderate spent convictions should not stop you from getting one. if you want some help pm me your number live in west wales as well with gwp,s

If you are looking to just work the dog, you probably couldn't go far wrong with beating on a shoot.....but remember you have a right to own a shotgun.....unless the police can prove you shouldn't have one....It sounds like a complicated process, but its not really.....It will cost you £50 and about £100 for the cabinet.....but you can start off with a cheap gun (less than £100) and trade up later if you want?

£50 for shotgun certificate.

£100 odd for a shotgun safe

£100 odd for a shotgun

For my first shotgun I payed £50 for a unspecidied double barrel side by side shotgun. Had 25" barrels and look like it was made for bank robbing lol!

Depending on what you want you can get a shotgun from £50 or upto £50,000 lol! The one I have atm was about £300. It not bad to get stuck in aswell as theres nothing better than shooting over a dog you have trained yourself to work for you :)

Hi all, pretty new to the gundog front just after some advice. I have put my name down for a gsp, I plan on just doing some trialing stuff, a bit of pointing and retrieving dummys. I dont own a shotgun so I am limited to what I can do. My work colleague has a springer spaniel that is trained mint, he works and flushes hedges and that is all he does he only shoots once a year, He was saying if you can get the dog trained well you can net the quarry, is this true? Just a bit stuck as applying for a shotgun looks a bit of a nightmare.

I'd hold back on plans to trial if your going to do "a bit of pointing" & retrieving dummys. You would have to do far more, including shooting over the dog if you hope to trial.

Setters used to be trained to hold on point until both the dog and birds were netted. don't think anyone does it now, and doesn't really work unless you have a grouse moor and lots of staff!!!

I'd seriously think again why your getting a GSP. Fine dog but I doubt you have the sport to provide it with work?

Well to be honest, my main reason for getting it is that I love the breed, but because I have had birds, I fancied a gsp for falconry, but I also wanted like an all-round dog. I have been hesitant about getting my shotgun certificate because it seems quite a palava. But I have applied now, so I should be sorted, ;) Fortunately i have been blessed with about 300 acres of land in my garden, so there is plenty for him to do. And by the way, I am fascinated by the old method of netting, I also have heard of some people across the pond using catapults!.

Well to be honest, my main reason for getting it is that I love the breed, but because I have had birds, I fancied a gsp for falconry, but I also wanted like an all-round dog. I have been hesitant about getting my shotgun certificate because it seems quite a palava. But I have applied now, so I should be sorted, ;) Fortunately i have been blessed with about 300 acres of land in my garden, so there is plenty for him to do. And by the way, I am fascinated by the old method of netting, I also have heard of some people across the pond using catapults!.

Nice dogs, though I do prefer the GWP. do your birds need a pointer or are they hawks?

Nice garden :thumbs: does it hold much game? The dog can / will learn to shorten it's beat if the ground is not open. Though it's better to run then in woodland ONLY after they have become experienced on open ground (especially if you want to trial)

For me, you can train a spaniel / lab with limited game but to really do an HPR justice they really need to been on game.

Good Luck & stick some pics up when you get it. :clapper: