Hi all,

My wee cousin has just been given an old .177 Air rifle from my uncle.

Questions are:

How do i clean rust off the Barrel ?

At what Distance Should i set the scope for him ?

How do i put pennys or washers behind the spring as i was told the Air Rifle shoots at 9.5 fps and would like it back up to 12 fps

What way can i Clean the Barrel for him would i need a kit ?

How often should i clean the inside of the barrel for him and do i need to set the scope each time its cleaned ?

Any more advice you could give would be great.

Thanks very much

Andrew

Edited by 1888andybhoy

Hi, I will do my best to answer your questions.

If the rust is too bad then you will have to rub it off with wire wool and re-blue the barrel.

It depends. As it's a lower powered gun 20 yards would be fine.

Don't bother messing about with pennies. It may need a new main spring though, what make and model is it?

i dont know mate i will tell you tomorrow . i dont know much about air rifles im a shotgun and rifle man myself. The rust i would say would just be surface i tryed to rub it off with a rag and it wouldnt budge though. i have a tube of perma blue on the shelf would that be ok to blue the barrel ? And what would you suggest for cleaning inside the barrel (i dont have a cleaning kit do i need one or is there another way ?)as it has never been cleaned what do you suggest and how would i go about it would i put gun oil down the barrel when its cleaned then fire a shot to clean it then set the scope or set the scope first ?

Thanks very much mate

Andrew.

Edited by 1888andybhoy

Is the barrel pitted, or is the rust just surface? :)

The rust is just on the surface. would i just rub down these areas and put perma blue on them ?

Yep! As already said, the wire wool will remove surface rust, use a buffer if you have one, then re-blue as normal :)

What can i use to clean inside the barrel as i dont have a kit to clean it ?

Do i clean it the same as a rifle and shotgun ? Clean it then put gun oil down the barrel ?

And then do i set the scope ? and what Distance would you say ?

As for spring what spring if a new one and how do i fit a new spring ?

Andrew.

I would change the spring before you set the sights, just clean the barrel like you would your other rifle, if you know what model your gun is you can check for good springs on the net, once you get the gun up to spec then I would set the sights :)

I would change the spring before you set the sights, just clean the barrel like you would your other rifle, if you know what model your gun is you can check for good springs on the net, once you get the gun up to spec then I would set the sights :)

Ok thanks mate is there any obveous springs ( good makes ) to go for if it comes up as an option ?

And how do you change a spring ?

Sorry for being a pest i have never worked with air rifles before.

Andrew

Edited by 1888andybhoy

With out knowing the make and model of your gun, its hard to make a suggestion for a spring, if you dont know the make and model, put up a pic of your gun and some one on here will know which way to point you :)

Thanks mate. Also on our small syndicate we have problems with rats at our feeders whats the best bait to get them more active and i will take my wee cousin up for some action once his air rifle is sorted out .

Edited by 1888andybhoy

With out knowing the make and model of your gun, its hard to make a suggestion for a spring, if you dont know the make and model, put up a pic of your gun and some one on here will know which way to point you :)

Thanks mate. Also on our small syndicate we have problems with rats at our feeders whats the best bait to get them more active and i will take my wee cousin up for some action once his air rifle is sorted out .

Just whack them when they come to rob the food from the bird feeders :thumbs:

For cleaning out the barrel, you can either buy a kit to do so (you can get some that have different heads, for .177, .22 and 12 guage and just about everything in between)

Or you can do it the way I just cleaned mine (far cheaper).

I tore up a baby wipe put a strong piece of thread down the barrel, hooked the wipe into a loop at the end then pulled it through a couple of times.

Then I pinched some of my lads 'filter tips' from his fag making kit and put them in the barrel and pushed them through a couple of times with some thin canes, first they came out gray/black then when the next lot came out white I knew it was spotless :D

Phantom