whats it trained to do then?.

A little whine. How is it that there are lots of folk training gun dogs but its difficult to find a gun with a dog :search: to join a rough shoot we can get any amount of folks with guns but not with dogs.So you have spent lots of time and money training you dog and now its ready for the field how do you get your dog experience and what do you train you dog to do is it for trialing beating picking up hunting or the lot. Whine over ;) should have gon into the gundog section don't know how to move it sorry.

Just get out on your own with the shotty and the dog and do some walking, put the dog into cover away from your shot pattern and take a shot, even if there is nothing there.

They soon get used to it, the dog must be on the stop and steady to game before you go it for real, you don't want to be peppering the dog if it chases the game :thumbdown:

A little whine. How is it that there are lots of folk training gun dogs but its difficult to find a gun with a dog :search: to join a rough shoot we can get any amount of folks with guns but not with dogs.So you have spent lots of time and money training you dog and now its ready for the field how do you get your dog experience and what do you train you dog to do is it for trialing beating picking up hunting or the lot. Whine over ;) should have gon into the gundog section don't know how to move it sorry.

Slightly different for me hily, i'd say I was a dog with a gun rather than the other way round. Trying to find good rough shoots that suit the dogs (both in terms of the ground and the attitude of the other guns) is more important (& difficult) to me.

Dogs at different stages of their life do different things for me but ideally they would be out on "walked-up / rough shots everyday if possible.

As far as i can see in the last few years there are 2 new breeds in the shooting arena:

1) Just taken up shooting

2) Just taken up dog training

1 is unlikely to have a dog as its a big commitment off the bat and 2 is unlikely to have a gun because they are a strange bunch (obviously not all of them, but most i have met)

Id say thats why its hard to find a new gun with a dog. Established people are already on shoots and less guns seem to have dogs these days (thank god in some cases)

Of the 2, on my shoot id prefer number 1 (assuming they are safe) because i find 'dog people' a terrible bore, primarily because its all they talk about (main reason i have never joined one of these clubs that seem to be popping up) and also because for some reason this new breed has a strange attitude to the whole occupation, somehow thinking that them working the dog is actually the most important part of the day fo everyone.

Rant over

Just get out on your own with the shotty and the dog and do some walking, put the dog into cover away from your shot pattern and take a shot, even if there is nothing there.

They soon get used to it, the dog must be on the stop and steady to game before you go it for real, you don't want to be peppering the dog if it chases the game :thumbdown:

wires crossed i think :icon_redface:

Slightly different for me hily, i'd say I was a dog with a gun rather than the other way round. Trying to find good rough shoots that suit the dogs (both in terms of the ground and the attitude of the other guns) is more important (& difficult) to me.

Dogs at different stages of their life do different things for me but ideally they would be out on "walked-up / rough shots everyday if possible.

I TRAVEL APPROX 120 MILES ROUND TRIP EVERY WEEK SO I CAN HUNT AND WORK THE DOG ON A GOOD ROUGH SHOOT AND YES THE ATTITUDE OF SOME GUNS aint right.Even the old girl in my kennel gets to plod arround the shoot on bunnys .

As far as i can see in the last few years there are 2 new breeds in the shooting arena:

1) Just taken up shooting

2) Just taken up dog training

1 is unlikely to have a dog as its a big commitment off the bat and 2 is unlikely to have a gun because they are a strange bunch (obviously not all of them, but most i have met)

Id say thats why its hard to find a new gun with a dog. Established people are already on shoots and less guns seem to have dogs these days (thank god in some cases)

Of the 2, on my shoot id prefer number 1 (assuming they are safe) because i find 'dog people' a terrible bore, primarily because its all they talk about (main reason i have never joined one of these clubs that seem to be popping up) and also because for some reason this new breed has a strange attitude to the whole occupation, somehow thinking that them working the dog is actually the most important part of the day fo everyone.

Rant over

I TAKE ON BOARD WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT NEW GUNS BUT TAKE A STRAW POLE ON THIS SITE AND YOU WILL FIND THAT THERE ARE PLENTY OF NEW GUNDOG HANDELERS.Don't know about the newbreed of dog people but for me to go shooting, a dog and a gun are a must.And for me working the dog well is important for the day find flush shoot retrieve a man with only a gun can only do one of these acts well the others the dog does well.atb