Just today near home I found this Hoodie Crow nest - the upper bird (sorry about the image quality) is a hybrid Carrion/Hoodie and the grey doesn't extend right down the back and breast as it does in the normal bird. This bird has been about for the past year or so. We sometimes get Hybrids and Carrions on the East coast of Ireland, tho' the Hooded is the normal variety.

I wonder if the young will revert to normal Hoodie colours?

My friend's son wants to rear one - I know Jackdaws and Magpies were reared successfully many years ago - does anyone have any experience of Hoodies or Carrions?

Zek.

post-1826-127082737606_thumb.jpg

post-1826-12708273857_thumb.jpg

Just today near home I found this Hoodie Crow nest - the upper bird (sorry about the image quality) is a hybrid Carrion/Hoodie and the grey doesn't extend right down the back and breast as it does in the normal bird. This bird has been about for the past year or so. We sometimes get Hybrids and Carrions on the East coast of Ireland, tho' the Hooded is the normal variety.

My friend's son wants to rear one - I know Jackdaws and Magpies were reared successfully many years ago - does anyone have any experience of Hoodies or Carrions?

Zek.

There is nothing to stop you having a Crow as a pet in the U.K.

But the only way you can get one legally is from a breeder.

You "May" find one that has "Fallen" from a nest in the spring.

and "Rescue" it.just a bit of friendly advice. :whistling:

Zek.

Yes my experiences are they are a right pain..............they are a nuisance of a bird and no other nest, egg or chick in the area will be safe when they are around. Better shooting them with the gun than the camera. :gunsmilie:

Zek.

Yes my experiences are they are a right pain..............they are a nuisance of a bird and no other nest, egg or chick in the area will be safe when they are around. Better shooting them with the gun than the camera. :gunsmilie:

:thumbs:

You can rear orphan crows (and other corvids too) on dog food. :victory:

It is illegal to take them from the wild to rear them. You can only buy captive bred , rung birds. If the bird is captive bred and unrung you cannot buy it, it must be gifted free of charge. :victory: