Moly heads or copper heads

Another question for you reloading boffins out there. I brought a few .223 v-max head the other month to see what my rifle liked, i got some 40gr 50gr and 55gr.

my question is, the 40gr's were a moly coated head (well they were grey which i think is moly coated) but are there any benifits of these over the standard copper or are they worse or exactly the same?????

Another question for you reloading boffins out there. I brought a few .223 v-max head the other month to see what my rifle liked, i got some 40gr 50gr and 55gr.

my question is, the 40gr's were a moly coated head (well they were grey which i think is moly coated) but are there any benifits of these over the standard copper or are they worse or exactly the same?????

Well:

Moly coating is a type of lubricant, which (it is claimed) reduces barrel wear, and 'speeds up' the bullet's velocity, both things being 'good' if they are true.

For myself I don't know? and I'm not going to try it my rifles, as if it's tosh the best result is no improvement but just spent more money, at worst I've shafted

my barrel.

Thanks but NO THANKS

AndyF

you will also need to give the barrel a good clean after using moly.... personally its not worth the hassle i think unless your doing serious round counts... and its bloody messy stuff....lol

Ive been advised to keep well away from moly, also if it is used it takes some serious cleaning to remove from the barrel...

Moly coating is a type of lubricant, which (it is claimed) reduces barrel wear, and 'speeds up' the bullet's velocity, both things being 'good' if they are true.

Think you will find the opposite regarding velocity - moly reduces velocity speeds compared to your usual powder weight and bullet weight.

Moly bullets will shoot fine - probably no better than conventual heads, so why bother paying extra for the same. You don't see hardly any good bench rest shooters using it.