Messy Ferrets

I have two young ferrets from two different breeders. both of which are out of this years litters one at start of season and the other is only about 11 weeks old now.

They have settled in to their hutch but one of the little fuzzballs refuses to use a latrine corner. One just uses it like she was born to the other little madam will use it then just as easily start in another corner.

It is frustrating and i trying to suss out means to stop them.

I use a massive triangle litter tray with a back to it. I've tried shavings, soil and now cat litter which seems the best but just as i think they are being tidy they revert to a free for all. I've limited them to one tier of the hutch to reduce the number of available corners. Beyond that has anyone any ideas??????

yeah, just put what they do do into the tray, and

squeeze some lemon onto the places there going, that you dont want them too.

I just use shavings in their loo, young ones oftern take a while to get the hang of using just one toilet, but before you know it, they will be.

HI, my two are exactly the same. The one is great always in the tray(I also have a triangular "hi back" tray with litter). The other is all over the place sometimes in the middle of the run.

I've now got her (taken about 2 weeks) mostly in the tray sometimes 24 hours goes by and its all in the tray then it all goes to "ferret s**t" scuse the pun.

I seem to have cracked it over the past couple of days and touch wood she's cottoned on. This is what i've tried.

I always scoop the muck into the tray and clean where it was. I hadn't tried the lemon juice but sounds a great idea I'd been using soapy water.

I have a food bowl in 2 of the corners and water bowl in the 3rd this is what I think at first caused her to go in the middle. I then put loads of stuff in there from kids football to plant pots and this seemed to really help as she couldn't find a comfy spot to go so has to use the tray.

My final thing and this really seemed to be what cracked it is I put a plastic square washing up type bowl with a hole cut in one end and a piece of waste pipe leading into it. I then stand this up on its side half over the tray. Now that she has nowhere to settle to go she goes through the pipe and finds the tray. Since then I've only had one or two accidents. She is 5 and half months old.

It also seemed to me that when I change the litter that the accidents happen. It seems better to let the tray get a bit full to cement the smell and get them used to it before keepling it so clean. Mine are cleaned out daily so I may have been confusing them a bit.

They're still young and accidents do happen but when its all in the litter cleaning out is a 5 minute job.

Hope my cock ups help you out mate.