Ratting

I want to start using my ferrets for ratting, I've got a hob and a jill. Does anyone do this regularly? I've got a few questions:

Are ferrets susceptible to any diseases carried by rats? are their any jabs they can have that will protect them?

Where are the best places to find rats? I've seen holes near rivers that I'm assuming are rat holes as they're too small for rabbits etc and too big for mice. Is it the same principle as rabbiting, bolt the rats with ferrets? I know some rats will stand and fight but I'm assuming a lot will bolt? Do they have several entries to the holes like rabbits so they can escape?

Is their anywhere else you could do this such as rubble heaps, ditches etc etc?

Just after a bit of general advice really on how to go about it, it's the end of my ferrets first season of rabbiting and I want to give them something else to work on over the summer. I know people are going to reply telling me it's dangerous for the ferrets etc but my jill is a proper game little hard nut so I think she'd be OK and my hobs just a bruiser so I think he'd be OK aswell (although there's no way he'd fit down a rat hole!)

As far as i am aware there is no jab to prevent them from diesease. i beleive that they are susceptable to diesease but am not 100% on that. i thought about doing it a few years back but thought against it in the end as its not worth the risk if your jill gets amongst a full nest she may be game but she will not win...... my uncle did it years ago and never had a problem but times have changed and its not something id do. but this is not to say i am right its just my opinion. also if you ferret does get a hdding of some rat it will probably put it off rabbiting as well. why dont you just keep rabbiting if you want to keep going? better than running them on rats!

And yes thoose holes by the river probably is rats but it couls also be mink!!! would not wanto F%$£k with them..

All the best

Moses

I want to start using my ferrets for ratting, I've got a hob and a jill. Does anyone do this regularly? I've got a few questions:

Are ferrets susceptible to any diseases carried by rats? are their any jabs they can have that will protect them?

Where are the best places to find rats? I've seen holes near rivers that I'm assuming are rat holes as they're too small for rabbits etc and too big for mice. Is it the same principle as rabbiting, bolt the rats with ferrets? I know some rats will stand and fight but I'm assuming a lot will bolt? Do they have several entries to the holes like rabbits so they can escape?

Just after a bit of general advice really on how to go about it, it's the end of my ferrets first season of rabbiting and I want to give them something else to work on over the summer. I know people are going to reply telling me it's dangerous for the ferrets etc but my jill is a proper game little hard nut so I think she'd be OK and my hobs just a bruiser so I think he'd be OK aswell (although there's no way he'd fit down a rat hole!)

There's ferrets and there's ratting ferrets. A lot of ferrets won't face rats. I've tried loads over the years, most won't and even if they will ,they won't for long. having said that there are good ratting strains.

There's ferrets and there's ratting ferrets. A lot of ferrets won't face rats. I've tried loads over the years, most won't and even if they will ,they won't for long. having said that there are good ratting strains.

Do rats generally fight back then or do most of them run?

Do rats generally fight back then or do most of them run?

Some will if they can,but if cornered or defending young will fight.

Wats the point in useing ferrets for ratting when you have these smokers now i wish we had them 30 odd year ago instead of all the lost ferrets through bites and wat not plus rats that get used to ferrets will fight it out sooner than bolt in most cases.atb dell

Thanks for your replies. I know smoker and terrier would be the easier option but that would defeat the object, I'm after sport for my ferrets during the time when I can't take them rabbiting. The ideal scenario would be somewhere other than the rats actual hole so there's less chance of them cornering the rat and having to fight them, and also it would be easier to have them working in pairs then. If it's just not feasible then fair enough but I just want to find out as much as possible about it before I decide whether or not to give it a go.

I wouldnt do it. How would you feel if you dropped the jill in and she came back up with only one eye? A pregnant doe or one defending a nest will rip the hell out of even the toughest ferret. They can also get Wells disease, which you will be at risk from when handling ferrets, moving about holes etc.

If your wanting somewhere more open you could try hay barns?

But this is the EXACT reason smokers were invented, to save ferret blood!

Jai.

Dont think i am being funny but have you been reading books on ratting by the late author D.B.Plummer?? because [bANNED TEXT] he used to rat at the same maggot farms as us [bANNED TEXT] we were younger he knew how pointless ferrets were having had that much hammer resorted to the rose sprays filled with petrol.

Usually give them a break, they get worked very hard during the winter months. Summer time they rest, relax and play. Some of them raise kits. They do get a bit of summertime pest control, but i try to avoid it as its just a hassle and the dogs/guns are more suited.

atb

Jai.