1st Pheasant

Fletcher

Out for a quick fly this morning after nightshift with my male Harris Hawk. We were out on the hill not expecting to get much as the rabbits are few and far between up there at the moment but its handy being so close to home.

The bird was on a high scanning flight when he dropped like a sack of tatties into an explosion of feathers, 3 hen pheasants split off in different directions. I was expecting my bird to return to the fist after a failed attempt, no sign of him then I hear his bells in a gorse bush he flys out and takes a high perch about 4 metres away staring intently at the bush, I go in for the flush, Bang! He's on it, first hen pheasant. I'm delighted, I make in for dispatch, and being used to rabbits I pull its f**king head off, as I said first hen pheasant, live and learn.

Got home and weighed it 2lb 4oz and hawk is weighing 1lb 6oz. :drink:

Cheers Millet he's been totally ignoring feather for over a year then this week he's had that hen pheasant and a couple of smaller birds since.

Its good news for me, the permission I have with a good amount of rabbits are either flooded or have livestock on at the minute.

When the cattle get taken inside thats when the season picks up for me, should'nt be long now bring on the frost.