Question about Deer Skulls - bit cheeky

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, and I joined really because I wondered if anyone here could help me.

I'm a primary school teacher in North Yorkshire and I have been doing a topic with my class about British wildlife.

Anyway since starting the topic I have been keeping an eye out for roadkill and have so far found a Roe deer stag and a fox. I took the heads off both and cleaned them up and brought them to show the kids - and they loved seeing them, writing about them and touching them. A great stimulus for work.

Now here is the cheeky part - I wondered if anyone here hunts so often or just isn't a fan of keeping skulls so that they have some they don't want. I'd be very happy to cover postage (If I can afford it - depends what time of the month it is)

As I said I have roe deer stag skull - but the kids wanted to see the skulls of the other deer that can be found in England as well.

So if anyone has a spare:

Female Roe

Male Fallow

Female Fallow

Male Red

Female Red

Male Muntjac

Female Muntjac

Male Chinese Water Deer

Female Water Deer

Then I would be very appreciative. I know I am being very cheeky and I don't mean to offend anybody, but I am just trying to meet the desires of my class.

Thank you for reading.

in germany their version of basc will do a travelling "forest scool" to show kids stuffed animals( not fu@@ed but stuffed) and furs from managed/culled wildlife. it has gone down really well for years now,booked out in summer all the time.

i don't stalk here(yet) but will ask some lads who do if they have any spare they would "donate".

how about other wild animals? stoat,weasel,fox pelts are all very interesting and great to touch.

i'm sure ther are hunting men and women on here who will be willing to help out a school :thumbs:

an all for it waidmann

in germany their version of basc will do a travelling "forest scool" to show kids stuffed animals( not fu@@ed but stuffed) and furs from managed/culled wildlife. it has gone down really well for years now,booked out in summer all the time.

i don't stalk here(yet) but will ask some lads who do if they have any spare they would "donate".

how about other wild animals? stoat,weasel,fox pelts are all very interesting and great to touch.

i'm sure ther are hunting men and women on here who will be willing to help out a school :thumbs:

an all for it waidmann

The idea of a travelling group is a great one. My school often gets art groups or theatre groups or sometimes a group who brings in various bugs and insects from around the world - however I don't know of any such group around my area.

Stoat, weasel and fox skulls or pelts would be fantastic. It is items like that that can get children to reconnect with nature. I know that can sound a bit naive, but I have had kids in my class before who didn't know what a stoat was, or what a fox looked like.

Thank you for getting back to me. Let me know how it goes.

Hi

I never got a chance to correct a teacher at school so nows the 1st time

"there is no such thing as a Roe Deer Stag.".............they called Bucks.

i stalk Red ,Roe ,Sika ,Fallow and smelly goats your welcome to the heads where abouts are you....... i am in Co. Durham?

In that case the phrase 'Roe Deer Stag' will never pass my lips again. Do you just call them Roe Bucks then? and Roe Does?

Which deer do have stags then? If I'm teaching about it I want to make sure I get the terminology as right as I can.

I am in Scarborough at present, on the edge of North Yorkshire. That's a pretty impressive list of species you stalk - all of them sound fantastic.

there was a study in berlin about how well townie kids knew the wildlife most thought ducks were yellow,cows purple and white etc etc

the more teachers we can get and support in this type of thing the better :thumbs:

waidmann

p.s. don't you dare correct my spelling/grammar :whistling:

How many points on the antlers (if Male)

G)How many Calfs its carrying (if Female)

H)Likelyhood of TICs or Bott fly

I am sure the more experienced guys on here can add a few more?????? :)

Hi mate, can you tell us how to determine how many foetuses and likelihood of ticks by looking at the tracks? Thanks

G

How many points on the antlers (if Male)

G)How many Calfs its carrying (if Female)

H)Likelyhood of TICs or Bott fly

I am sure the more experienced guys on here can add a few more?????? :)

Hi mate, can you tell us how to determine how many foetuses and likelihood of ticks by looking at the tracks? Thanks

G

Are you asking if he knows or don't you know your self ?

LOL !! i thought it was a joke too !!

a good stalker will be able to distingiush the trail from another,even over years( using over 100 signs,some "ground" some "sky") only an indian will tell you how many calves,antler size/etc as this has so many variables( how much water is around the unborn,big calf and small twins etc.sky sign CAN give a VERY ROUGH picture of antler make up). if some one thinks they can i would suggest he " speaks poison with two tongues" or has had too much "firewater".

waidmann

Are you wanting clean skulls, ie bone and antler? Otherwise some rather smelly parcels might be arriving on your doorstep!

Clean bone is good - but I have no problem with cleaning up heads myself. I did it with my Roe buck and my fox.

Only problem is that I don't have a garden to work in since I moved house - don't think anyone would be best pleased with me working in the kitchen.

I've given my dad a ring though - says it's fine for me to use his garden for cleaning up skeletons. Hope he doesn't regret it.

Went for a walk today and found another dead deer by the side of the road - unfortunately another Roe Buck. I think it was pretty young, as his antlers were still in velvet. I was hoping for another species, or even a female roe, but no luck.

To Ug and Barry - I think I've messaged you my address - if you haven't got my message let me know. Any other problems let me know as well. Looking forward to hearing from you.

:thumbs:

Bugger, I shot a muntjac buck yesterday...in the head unfortunately so not much use to you! I'll be out again later this week, I'll keep you in mind. I'm catching a lot of moles lately, any interest in them? They have the most teeth of all our mammals you know....

James

Bugger, I shot a muntjac buck yesterday...in the head unfortunately so not much use to you! I'll be out again later this week, I'll keep you in mind. I'm catching a lot of moles lately, any interest in them? They have the most teeth of all our mammals you know....

Just looked up a picture of a mole skull - looks fascinating! Probably a bit more delicate than the skulls I've been working with, but I'd love to try and clean one up. Let me know if you have any spare.

James