Just starting out- keen amateur

love the second and fourth shots mate.... stunning dogs you have there...

photography is rather addictive, once you get that one shot thats excellent you just want to achieve something better...

its all a bit technical at the minute for me too, but trial and error is part of the fun...

ATB.

Snap.

Unfortunately I am a real "no idea what I am doing" when it comes to the logic behind pressing the shutter. I take loads of pictures and just hope for the best- and get lucky! Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't--I had a lot of really nausea inducing blurry ones with the new lens, and keep thinking maybe I need to invest in a tripod or something?! Either that or lose the tremor!

Having such lovely subjects does make it easier- they are quite photogenic at times...just shame the owner is such a numpty with a camera to do them real justice.

Unfortunately I am a real "no idea what I am doing" when it comes to the logic behind pressing the shutter. I take loads of pictures and just hope for the best- and get lucky! Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't--I had a lot of really nausea inducing blurry ones with the new lens, and keep thinking maybe I need to invest in a tripod or something?! Either that or lose the tremor!

Having such lovely subjects does make it easier- they are quite photogenic at times...just shame the owner is such a numpty with a camera to do them real justice.

dont do yourself down, nice pics, have you got a sports mode while you are learning.?

I'm guessing the new lens has a longer focal length than your old one... A general rule is that your shutter speed needs to equal the lens focal length to prevent blurring through camera shake. So if you have a 300mm lens your shutter speed needs to be at least 1/300th of a second, probably a little bit more if you're using a crop sensor camera.

A tripod will help and enable you to use a slower speed, but when it comes to action shots of fast dogs you really need at least 1/800th second to freeze the movement. Another alternative is to "pan" the shot - use a slower shutter speed and follow the subject with the camera until you feel time is right to press shutter. You need to practise this and have quite a steady hand, but you can get good results as there'll be a lot of movement blur in the back ground.

If you want to let the camera do the work, set it to sport ot action mode and it will select the fastest speed possible. If you want control, set it to speed priority and select the shutter speed manually. If the lighting is a bit dull you might need to turn the ISO setting up as well. Make sure your focusing is set to continuous or servo mode (depends on make of camera)

Best way is to keep practising, you've got some good shots so far :thumbs:

Everyone has to start somewhere, and i'd say these are dam good for a first attempt! Try and find yourself some old photography books in charity shops or boot fairs, these explain the original rules of photography and you simply can't beat the old style diagrams used in this type of literature. The rules regarding shutter speed, aperture, ISO and depth of field are the same for film and digital, you only need the basics to get you started! Best of luck with it, and just keep trying and learning as you go. :thumbs:

Camera has a ton of settings and I tend to use the sport mode or the portrait one. I have used some of the others but the results have been a bit varied.

I have never felt brave enough to do anything on it manually. New lens is a canon as is the camera itself 450d.

Love your pics Nell.

Learning myself, each time I go out I gradually get used to a bit more. Good to have all this advice.

It is isn't it! I never realised this bit of the forum existed.

I forget each time what setting I was using for some of them. I wonder if there is a website that might do techno speak for idiots for me...I lose the plot when I hear shutter speeds, and ISO reminds me of the films I used to buy when it was real film rather than digital.

I did learn a lot about my camera and settings on youtube there is a lot of tutorials for my camera, probably is for yours as well. I could watch a bit, stop tutorial then continue and go over again till I understood a bit more. Some has sunk in but still got a lot to learn haha

excellent idea, off to look now!