nightmare lead training

Only ever had two lurchers always been into gun dogs before (labs).The last lurcher was no problem to get on the lead, 1/2 cross collie x grey, but the currant 10wk old is proving a little harder although she seems much more confidant than the last shy lurcher. Any tips?

let her trail the lead around the house/garden (under supervision of course) she will get used to it being there.then start taking the lead and leading her to treats etc.

she is only10 weeks bud so still very young yet,take your time with it and make it fun :thumbs:

waidmann

I had problems with mine with the lead at 1st. Got him ok with it in one day with the treat method. I had the lead in my hand visable and called him to me. When he came i gave him a treat then stroked him and put the lead on while stroking him. Once he realised he had a lead round his neck i gave him another treat and carried on stroking him. Make plenty of "good boy" type noises all the time hese ok with it. Then stand up and with a treat offered to him but JUST out of reach walk away and lead him towards the treat. After a couple of yards give him the treat. It wont take long mate.

Sometimes if a young dog is a bit windy of a lead (or any training or management technique) you can get them moving forward by lying on the ground on your back. It's a sign of playful submission to a dog. As suggested have the lead loose on the pup but within your grip. Don't get into a fight with the pup but if it plays up, pulling or thrashing it's head around, just stand still and look away. Directly staring at the pup or getting upset just aggravates the pup more. Just ignore everything the pup does until it tires itself out. The mopment it relaxes just lie down on your back and relax. The pup will watch you and often move forward to investigate. If it does encourage it without pulling on the lead. You want the pup to ignore the lead as much as possible and one of the ways of doing that is to ignore it yourself. If the pup backs up again just stay where you are and let the pup resist all it likes. Sooner or later it will give up and come to you. Once it relaxes with you, get back up and walk off with the lead in your hand and don't look at the pup. Just get up and walk off purposefully. Don't bother talking to the pup, just go. If they resist just stop, keep looking the way you are going and wait for the pup to give up again. Walk off again. If you keep it up and remain calm to the point of disinterest, the pup will just give up.

Give it a try and let us know how you go. Might take five minutes, might take an hour but it will work if you stay calm.

Cheers.

The other day i tried my pup on the lead she didnt like it. i tied the lead to my other dogs collar made it short so she was close to him and walked him up and down the garden on his lead, she played up for a couple of minutes but settled and walked with him, tried her yesterday on her own she was better walking with me so long as i didnt pull her...hope this helps....... chris