ferret trials

has anyone out there considered running ferret trials to find the best workers about? i have been to plenty of shows where fancy colourd, darkest, best conformation,and even racing but have never heard of any trials to test the working ability of ferrets.thus to start breeding programs with the best workers .ive seen it with dogs eg spaniels retrivers and even terriers [in certain parts of europe] so im just throwing a line out to see what sort of interest is attracted cheers dean :toast:

I dont know about working trails mate but i wont breed from a ferret till after its second year and its grafting a few days a week , how can you have working trails when some lad's ferret only at weekends and others three /four times a week and rabbit numbers vary across the country ??

I dont know about working trails mate but i wont breed from a ferret till after its second year and its grafting a few days a week , how can you have working trails when some lad's ferret only at weekends and others three /four times a week and rabbit numbers vary across the country ??

out of all your ferrets have you got one exceptional one that works better than the rest? me personally only being ferreting 35years and sometimes only being able to go out only at weekends have got a jill from a line which i have had for 15years which i think is something special but my gene pool is very shallow thats why i was asking

I'd be up for it. Would probably just have to be wee local things, like a few folk meeting up with a few ferrets at a place where there are a few decent sized sets. It would be pretty impossible to judge tho as rabbits all behave different underground so it wouldnt be fair. Could also go along the route of creating and stocking fake sets but that would be a bit dodgy.

jai.

I agree 100% I would'nt breed from a ferret untill its second year, working trials would be very hard to keep fair as some ferrets will have more experience than others, how do you tell which is which? and rabbit numbers vary and they all behave differently underground.

i would be up for small comps though. a few similar sets in an area, time limit and see who gets the best bag. Can’t really call it fair but it would be a fun day out. plus if you put an inexperienced ferret out against a veteran you then see how you can improve yours as you have set the bar. just an idea :whistling:

There are bad ferrets, good ferrets and exeptional ferrets. Just like anything, some of it is in the breeding but most of it is what you put into them. The more you work them the better they get.

Unfortunately i was ferreting monday/tuesday and a dog killed my best ferret. Wee white jill, fabulous worker. Knackered my breeding for this year as i was going to put her in kit and run on all the jills out the litter. Now its back to

square 1 :cry:

FTB

has anyone out there considered running ferret trials to find the best workers about?

Yes I do that every time I take them out watching and noting which ferret does what and build up to whats suitable to be bred from, plain and simple NOT all ferrets work as good as others :thumbs: and some are just a waste of time

Y.I.S Leeview

Ive 12 here and there all grafters or they wouldn't be here i like to think i can rely on them all taking 4/6 out and swapping them over for the next day .I know for a fact if there slow coming out a warren there on to a rabbit and if they kill it they will need to be dug out .Thats enough for me i dont need to enter any compitions ,and i only breed them for replacements but each to there own

same here fight the ban my terrier who isnt broken to ferrets got in to my shed and killed my very best albino jill and her daughter lukily here other daughter who is a good worker got hid in the pipes. so that f****d the breeding up for this year. the day before she worked her bolloks of aswell bolting 26 rabbs she was an exceptional worker and will be missed.