I need some advice on snaring foxes as I havent had much luck lately. I use a 9 inch snare loop, set at around 9 inches off the ground, and placed in what I believe to be fox tracks. I also place these snares on fences that seem to have a trail going from one paddock to the next and I have also placed them at what I believe to be the entrances of fox dens. But as I said earlier, I`m not having much luck snaring me a fox. What can I be doing wrong? Would it maybe be an idea to use some kind of bait to encourage them over? If so, what would you suggest?

9" loop is too big and 9" high it too high. Try 7" loop 6" high (to the bottom of the loop) :rocker:

[9" loop is too big and 9" high it too high. Try 7" loop 6" high (to the bottom of the loop) :rocker:.

[bANNED TEXT] your way off the mark if you set at six inches to the bottom of the snare you will kill every badger around and over here that is illegal. :cry: The hight specified is 9 inches and some times even higher depending on the type of

cover and hight of grass you are snaring in. I use an 8 to 9 inch loop and we kill foxes all the time it stands to reason if you ues a bigger loop it allows you a more forgiving sett. If you are not quite covering the run correctly and as a fox approaches the snare it can look straight through the loop and it places its head into the snare before it realises and its caught ;) please try to ensure that you stick to the rules as laid out by the fox snaring code produced by BASC goodhunting all woodga :ph34r:

Thanks for that last post Moley.Theres some cracking snarers on this site isnt there Woodga?How do these clowns ever catch any big numbers of foxes using these rabbit sized loops set at the same height as a rabbit wire,then they come on hear and give old fashioned and out dated advise that is totaly amateurish.Try a ten by eight inch loop set at ten inches and spray the snare and wire teiler with leaf green paint.Try setting a discent road line of about ten to fifteen miles minimum for three months of the year,then come back on hear and tell us all if these loop sizes and height settings work.And beleive me,these are the very best settings for large numbers of foxes that you can use.Mind you,you can stick to those silly little loops and heights if you like but you will never improve and kill alot of foxes,Trust me!!

They were let go,cos they was vixens.

More sport for the future ye see :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

No point killing a vixen carrying cubs or with cubs in an earth IMO :D

Others think differently i know,each to their own :D

Thats the spirit Geordie let them charlies grow up for the terriers.

Guest what a flight

my mate had all these just setting his snares along a wall,told him to leave some for the pups this winter ;) ,to flush for the gun of course :whistle: Photo0209.jpg

W A F.......

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geordie

Had another 2 dogs last night, 5 snares set,2 caught, 1 knocked and 2 with summit in em but released by someone :icon_eek:

Gonna have to lift em and set em all in plantations tonight.

And yes chilli,the dog foxes were despatched :hunter::hunter: